Simple Wine Recipe.. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt_andy

Reaction score
I made a 2 gal batch of grape wine. I used 2 gallons of Welch's grape juice and added about 4 cups of sugar. Let it ferment for about 3 weeks then bottled. When I transferred from primary to bottle bucket I added potassium sorbate. I added the correct amount as stated on the container for my volume. Then proceeded to bottle. 3 weeks later I have carbonated Wine. Its not bad.... but it isn't what I was going for....

What did I do wrong.

I have the same exact batch going right now and don't want to make the same mistake. What can i do differently to stop fermentation after bottle? Add more potassium sorbate? Or secondary and wait another week in addition to the potassium sorbate? Degas it?

Any info would be helpful.

You need to add nitrate when you add sorbate.

Open and pour all bottles into bucket. Add nitrate & sorbate. Degassed. Re bottle.

You need to add nitrate when you add sorbate.

Open and pour all bottles into bucket. Add nitrate & sorbate. Degassed. Re bottle.

Sulfites (Campden or K-meta) not nitrate.

Then proceeded to bottle. 3 weeks later I have carbonated Wine. Its not bad.... but it isn't what I was going for....
If you *were* going for carbonated wine, it would take longer than 3 weeks. I'm drinking some barely carbonated wine right now that was supposed to be fizzy at the New Year.

sorbate only works with a clear (finished) wine. The wine just wasn't finished enough for bottling.

So I needed to let it go longer in primary?? The gravity was at .097. I assumed it was good to go. I didn't have any bubbles for days. However, I did back sweeten because it was a little dry.

What should I add to stop fermentation before bottling.

I ask this because I have another 2 gal that has been going for 3 weeks now. Its been done fermenting for a while now. I want to bottle it. Should I skip the back sweetening? Should I degas it? Add something then secondary for a week?

I want to get the process down cause I'm going to continuously make this recipe since its good and cheap.

You should rack it to a secondary to get it off the lees. (unless you're doing a style and using a yeast variety where you want it to sit on the lees for a while -- unusual) Give it a couple of weeks in the secondary to drop clearer. I *think* the main purpose of this is to have less sediment in the bottles.

If you really don't want to do a secondary, try using D47 yeast. (I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that it tastes "fruity" if you age the wine on its lees.)

What works better to kill yeast and stop fermentation after back sweeting? Potassium metabisulphite(PM)? or Potassium sorbate(PS)?

Or would apply best in my situation. I want to bottle this tonight. Or would it be worth while to add the PM or PS in a secondary and wait a week.. then back sweetin?

Neither...high alcohol kills yeast. The only other way is to sterile filter, and you cant do that at home vear easily.

Oh, and were talking months, not weeks.

Latest posts

Back