Simple water profile... your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been brewing (AG from the start) for about a year. Due to some hefty home renos I only got in about 9 batches in the last year, many different styles, hoppy pales, smooth stouts, and a few Belgians. I think all my beers have been great, thanks mostly to using starters, O2 before pitching, and temp controlled fermentation.

Upon cruising this site the last few months I keep seeing the importance of water being brought up. I am lucky to live in beautiful Golden Colorado, and apart from sometimes smelling heavy on the chlorine, our water looks and tastes great. The last few batches I have been getting my water poured the night before and letting the chlorine evaporate overnight, which helps.

I just looked up our 2013 average value water report (photo below) does anything jump out to you water experts? These are yearly averages, and I've been told our water is much softer in the spring when runoff is high and gets higher as we switch to reservoir water in the late summer/fall. What would this mean in terms of what types of beer I could brew best at those times of year?

I appreciate your thoughts/tips!

2013 water.jpg

I dont see the calcium levels on the list. It seems like modestly hard water, but certainly useable. If you are brewing a pils or other really light beer, you may have to dilute it (or brew in the spring), but i havent done the math.

Download the brun'n water spreadsheet, its free, and it makes the math really easy. The first thing to worry about is making sure your mash ph is between like 5.2 and 5.4, that in general is the most important thing, (and you are doing that without having to add an excessive amount of minerals.)

Download the brun'n water spreadsheet, its free, and it makes the math really easy.

I agree, Plug these numbers into the Bru'n Water spreadsheet. Once you start playing around with that you will see what types of beers would be good to brew with your water. Your alkalinity is not too high so that will allow you to hit the correct mash pH for most styles.

Latest posts

Back