Simple sparge idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on an idea I have with a two tier single pump setup.

After finishing a recirculated mash using a herms coil in my BK and increasing up to mash out temp I'm thinking about pumping all of my sparge water on top of the grain bed in one step before starting the lauter. The sparge water would be pulled from the BK before opening the runnings to gravity drain back into the BK.

Aside from the MLT capacity requirements are there any other major considerations I'm missing?

The footprint of a two vessel system with a single heater are attractive for cost and size. I can accept the efficiency hit but I think if the mash and sparge water are well stratified with the clear water on top it might be acceptable and slightly better than the typical no-sparge method with the fully circulated thin mash.

Comments?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm answering myself here but I started to think with that much head pressure in the MLT it might be hard to start the lauter slow enough to not compact the bed. In the end I may just have to give this a try.

I'm answering myself here but I started to think with that much head pressure in the MLT it might be hard to start the lauter slow enough to not compact the bed. In the end I may just have to give this a try.

I don't really think that would happen, personally. Just start the drain very slow at first if you're worried.

I don't really think you'd get much of a difference, either. I know from previous batch sparging days that really stirring it up was crucial for the sparge to be worth much. If you're worried about efficiency but also a small footprint what about draining your sparge water into your bucket/carboy prior to runoffs? That way you get the benefit of a 3v but without any added footprint/cost. Or get a HD $3 plastic bucket for that and put it inside your pot/keg when not brewing. Technically no longer a 2v rig, but maintains the small footprint.

I'm building a 2v brewery and going to do something like this. I had 65-70% on my previous brutus20 (had deadspace due to poor plumbing design though) and when I did just a 1-2gal cold water sparge I noticed a decent increase.

Back