Simple SMaSH saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edecker

Reaction score
Good afternoon folks,

I'm looking to show one of my buddy's how brewing works this weekend and I was hoping to keep the process simple by making a tasty SMaSH saison brew. I found the following recipe and I wanted to see if you all thought the following would work out alright for a 5-gallon batch.

10lbs Muntons extra-light DME
1.5 oz Styrian Golding (60 min)
1.0 oz Styrian Golding (5 min)
Wyeast 3711

Thoughts? Again, I'm looking to keep this simple and tasty. I appreciate any feedback!

That looks like it'll turn out pretty tasty! I haven't had any experience with that yeast though. If you wanted to add a bit of complexity to the flavors without adding other hops or malts, try adding crushed coriander or sweet orange peel (bitter works too). About 1oz per 5 gallons will do. Let us know how it turns out!

You could step it up just a bit with the process and do some grain steeping and couple different hops. Here is my recipe that everyone who has had it loves it.

5 gallon boil, top off with 5 gallons

8 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light
2 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat

1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 10L
1 lb Carapils
0.25 lb Honey Malt

1 oz Saaz 60 min
1 oz Cascade 30 min
0.25 oz Cascade 10 min

and I used White Labs - Belgian Saison I Yeast WLP565

OG 1.079
FG 1.024
ABV 7.23%
IBU 25.39
SRM 6.59

Sorry not the best photo

That yeast attenuates 85% or so, much higher than typical ale yeasts. It also likes it very warm. Start fermentation in the mid 60s and let it free rise. Wrap a jacket around it if you have to and try and get it up above 80, this will give you more yeast esters

I would keep the recipe as is. IMO crystal malts have no place in a saison

Wow thanks so much for the quick responses!

I have some leftover sweet orange peel from a hefe I just brewed, so I may toss those in for some added simple complexity.

Sailingeric, that's a great looking beer! I like your recipe and may have to give that a shot next. I'm trying to stick with the SMaSH for now since I'm relatively new and want to start identifying individual hop/malt flavors. I'm saving that recipe, though- thanks for sharing!

Wow thanks so much for the quick responses!

I have some leftover sweet orange peel from a hefe I just brewed, so I may toss those in for some added simple complexity.

Sailingeric, that's a great looking beer! I like your recipe and may have to give that a shot next. I'm trying to stick with the SMaSH for now since I'm relatively new and want to start identifying individual hop/malt flavors. I'm saving that recipe, though- thanks for sharing!

I forgot.. I did ferment on the warm side. 80 degrees or so. Nice and spicy.

:rockin:

thats alot of Malt, your going to have a 10+% beer, which is fine if thats what you want. But I'd suggest more like 6-7 lbs. which will be in the 6-7.5% range depending how the yeast attenuates for you.
Also go pilsner extract if your able to find it.
Styrian G's are perfect.
That yeast is great for extract since it attenuates so well. another option is belle saison as a dry yeast to make the process even simpler for your buddy. both of those yeasts can take a beer down to 1.000

thats alot of Malt, your going to have a 10+% beer, which is fine if thats what you want. But I'd suggest more like 6-7 lbs. which will be in the 6-7.5% range depending how the yeast attenuates for you.
Also go pilsner extract if your able to find it.
Styrian G's are perfect.
That yeast is great for extract since it attenuates so well. another option is belle saison as a dry yeast to make the process even simpler for your buddy. both of those yeasts can take a beer down to 1.000

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I'm trying to go for something in the more traditional range, so I'll err on the side of caution and go for 6lbs.

I originally wanted to grab a Pilsner extract, but unfortunately I don't believe my LHBS carries it, so I would have to order online. The only issue with this is that we're brewing Sunday.

Another question related to your yeast comment: would you recommend a starter for both The 3711 and the belle saison?

no problem. no starter is needed for the belle saison or any dry yeast for that matter.
a starter is usually always recommended for liquid yeast. minus sour strains.

no problem. no starter is needed for the belle saison or any dry yeast for that matter.
a starter is usually always recommended for liquid yeast. minus sour strains.

Perfect, thank you. Now all I have to do is wait for these last few mins of work to tick away, then off to buy some ingredients!

I appreciate all the help folks.

Sorry for the double-post, but I felt the need to update: I ended up getting Pilsen light LME- how will this change things in terms of my final product?

Pilsner malt is more traditional in saisons so its a good thing.
Maybe use 7lbs instead of 6. DME is a little more concentrated than LME. i forget the actual ratio but something like 6lbs DME = 7.5lbs LME = 10lbs base grains.

Back