Simple Oktoberfest (Ale) Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm brewing on the 14th for an Oktoberfest party this fall. Don't have lagering capabilities so I'm doing what everyone else seems to be doing around here and just brewing it as an ale. I don't want to get too fancy so I came up with a fairly simple recipe. I figured those who have gone this route could provide some useful input!

Recipe: River Open Ale
Brewer: Dutra2418
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.84 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.71 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 12.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 45.5 %
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 45.5 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 2.3 %
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) 6.8 %

Hops:
-------
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min 8.00 IBUs
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 80.0 min 14.0 IBUs

Yeast:
-------
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast

Mash:
-------
Single infusion, medium body (152°F). Mash in 16.3qt, Sparge w/ 18.3qt

I made one of these last year. I would suggest going with Melanoidin in place of the Crystal. It really gives you that distinctive Marzen maltiness.

I had thought about doing that, but my LHS doesn't have any Melanoiden. I know that you can get a similar flavor from doing a decoction (thank you HBT search feature...) but I don't know how much or how long to boil to achieve the same flavor.

I've made a few of these, and I think you're on the right track. But I'd suggest replacing the Caramunich with a pound of Aromatic, and substituting a few pounds of Pilsner malt in for your munich / vienna malts.

And obviously you want as clean a yeast as possible, so do your homework. I've used Wyeast 2112 (California lager) since it kind of made sense. There may be a better choice, but it worked great for me.

I've made a few of these, and I think you're on the right track. But I'd suggest replacing the Caramunich with a pound of Aromatic, and substituting a few pounds of Pilsner malt in for your munich / vienna malts.

And obviously you want as clean a yeast as possible, so do your homework. I've used Wyeast 2112 (California lager) since it kind of made sense. There may be a better choice, but it worked great for me.

I just adjusted the Vienna to 7lbs and the Munich to 3lbs. I'm keeping Pilsner malt out in the interest of color and maltyness. I also upped the caramunich to 1lb..so between that and the 40 I'm sitting at about 12% of grist. Think that will be too overpowering? The S-04 is clean enough, isn't it?

I just adjusted the Vienna to 7lbs and the Munich to 3lbs. I'm keeping Pilsner malt out in the interest of color and maltyness. I also upped the caramunich to 1lb..so between that and the 40 I'm sitting at about 12% of grist. Think that will be too overpowering? The S-04 is clean enough, isn't it?
Two points: I suggested using some Pilsner because I've had better results doing that instead of straight Munich + Vienna. But I dont' blame you for trying. Second, I would definitely not use 1 lb caramunich. I use 0.25 lb crystal, and it comes out on the side of slightly-sweet-and-malty. I believe caramunich would add a lot of unfermentables, so I think your beer would be way too sweet.

I also upped the caramunich to 1lb..so between that and the 40 I'm sitting at about 12% of grist. Think that will be too overpowering? The S-04 is clean enough, isn't it?

i'd be lowering that, not upping it. personally, i'd completely ditch both and just go vienna/munich (or some pils as speed mentioned)

s-04 at low temps is fairly clean

Two points: I suggested using some Pilsner because I've had better results doing that instead of straight Munich + Vienna. But I dont' blame you for trying. Second, I would definitely not use 1 lb caramunich. I use 0.25 lb crystal, and it comes out on the side of slightly-sweet-and-malty. I believe caramunich would add a lot of unfermentables, so I think your beer would be way too sweet.

Noted and noted. Added the pils, deleted the caramunich. What crystal did you use? 40? I rejiggered with 60, but could easily switch. The ol gravity/hops graph pegs this at 'slightly malty'.

s-04 at low temps is fairly clean

I can only drop it to about 67-70...Probably should go with the kolsch then, eh? I only used the S-04 because I've had good results with malt shining through on the S-04..but that was during the winter when the apt sits at about 64.

Thanks guys! Edited recipe is here:

Batch size: 5.25gal

OG:1.053
FG:1.013
IBU:22
SRM:9

5# Pils
3# Vienna
2.5# Munich
0.5# C60

0.75OZ Hallertauer @80
0.75OZ Hallertauer @20

Yeast: WLP029 (Kolsch)

Noted and noted. Added the pils, deleted the caramunich. What crystal did you use? 40? I rejiggered with 60, but could easily switch. The ol gravity/hops graph pegs this at 'slightly malty'.
I'm sure 60 would be fine, but I typically use 20. If you're still trying to get a handle on the style, you may want to stick with something that has minimal character like 20, in order to help you figure out what the other malts are doing. Just a thought. My gut says that if I wanted a munich dunkel, I'd use munich dark malt and crystal 20 instead of munich light and crystal 60.

I can only drop it to about 67-70...Probably should go with the kolsch then, eh? I only used the S-04 because I've had good results with malt shining through on the S-04..but that was during the winter when the apt sits at about 64.

At 67-70, the beer probably won't be as clean as a typical lager. Even with a kolsch yeast you're probably going to have some fruity esters that aren't typical to a lager. If you could get it down to 60-63, it would be better.

I'm sure 60 would be fine, but I typically use 20. If you're still trying to get a handle on the style, you may want to stick with something that has minimal character like 20, in order to help you figure out what the other malts are doing.

How about dropping the C20 all together and adding the munich 20 (but in less quantity than the munich in there now.). The other grains would have to be adjusted to get back in style...and it would minimize the 'moving parts' in this brew.

If you could get it down to 60-63, it would be better.

Sounds like an excuse for a swamp cooler! :ban:

If you can't get it down below 67 you should consider using a cleaner yeast like US-05, otherwise it might be way too estery

Back