Simple Left over grain, chocolate-coffee stout-barley CUPCAKES.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawai

Reaction score
Yesterday I Brewed "dark prinz" from "Adventures in Homebrewing", a coffee-chocolate stout.. I like it. Grain left over, I took a 1 cup, added it to a Duncan Hines devils food cake mix. On the back it says 1/2 cup of oil, 3 eggs, 1 1/3rd cup water (I did 1 cup water), mix two minutes.

changes from back recipe, well.. I only added a cup of water since the cup of grain was dampish. Really chocolaty-coffee grain.. seemed a shame to throw it out. I have 12 lbs of 2 row barley Malt now for the horses next door.. It was so tasty I am trying to do a bread-machine malt barley loaf.. (10% chance it will turn out)

Cooking was preheated 350 degrees for 21 minutes, cupcake tins flour-pammed sprayed filled half full of batter.

I can't wait till the wife gets home from work.. she is the cook in the family, I'm the hubby not allowed in the kitchen sometimes while she is creating.. She makes a double coffee -chocolate wedding cake people 100 miles away have requested. It sends me into a caffeine twitch. There is some sticky "sap" in the bottom of the tray I have the grain in.. I don't have a clue what to do with it.. Looks too good to throw out thou.. any ideas?

No clue how to make the tops "prettier" do you?

DSCF2006.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

Add a bit more baking powder when you add something heavier to the batter for better leavening. And add a lil more batter to the cups in the pan. I dry my grains out on cookie sheets in a 200F oven for a few hours. turn them once an hour till they're dried & light/loose. cool & store in zip lock freezer bags on the pantry shelf. I use a Mr Coffee burr grinder on espresso setting to grind mine into a medium fine flour for baking. Makes things moist when combined with regular flour. That sticky sap must be wort that drained out. Bottle it & fridge it asap if it still smells good.

THE barley malt grain, it went bad in a matter of hours. It went from a great malted milk ball taste to a very nasty flavor from sitting in the bucket waiting on the neighbour to get it for his horses.

I'll make note on drying it next time like you do. But, that shows how homebrew can pick up bad flavors, it must have picked up bacteria, or other "junk" to alter the flavor.

The remainder of the chocolate grain is in the freezer. It looks like chewed tobacco or?? My wife liked the cup cakes enough to keep it and "says there is fudge coming with grain"

It doesn't pick up bad flavors,it just spoils really fast if left moist. I set the oven to 200F then go to draining & sparging. As soon as I get the wort out of the grains,onto cookie sheets & into the oven they go. do not hesitate,don't wait till later. do it right now kinda thing. Gotta keep'em fresh.

Back