Simple ebiab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manual control? I'm mostly trying to see what my options are. What would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/simple-ssvr-controlled-e-biab-rig-443594/

That's clean and cheap. Works like brewing on propane, basically. Also try searching on here for keywords like "simple/cheap" in combination with "1 pid" or "biab".

Stuff like that will get you good results. You can get a PID/SSR/Heatsink combo on eBay for $35 and then use properly rated non-blingy toggle switches and outlets for cheap.

Thanks for the help. This will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The ssvr in that thread is the cleanest and best eBIAB build I've seen on here. I think it's your best bet by far for simple and cheap.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

I am on "gathering parts" mode right now so I can offer my thoughts.

Pogden (link above) built a terrific setup and I almost went that route. However, I like the idea of setting the controller to some mash temp, walk away and come back later knowing the water is ready, so I went the PID route. Here's my breakdown so far:

Element Package from eBrewSupply - $95
PID/SSR/RTD Sensor/Heat Sink from Auber - $133
Contactor/10ft 4wire dryer cord/L630R outlet/PVC Box - $55

Right now, I am under $300 for a simple/safe PID controlled panel and electrifying the kettle. It's very similar to Pogden's build except I went the PID route instead of SSVR. It's the miscellaneous stuff that runs the tab:

30A GFCI breaker and outlet in my garage - $100 (I did it myself)
Misc (JB Weld/Food Grade Silicone/Multimeter/odds & ends) ~ $50

And finally, I am still debating but I may go for the Greenlee 1-1/4 round punch to make the holes on the kettle and element kit. That's an expensive tool but if I end up buying it, I may list it on eBay once I am done with it. I only need to cut 2 holes. I could use a step bit but it's a big hole to cut and to minimize the chances of a leak, I would like a very precise cut.

I have a pump but I already built a control for it and it's connected to a GFCI outlet in my garage so I don't plan to add that capability to the control panel.

Hope that helps.

The cheap harbor freight chassis punch set works OK for making a couple holes in the kettle or you could use a good hole saw and drill press.

Latest posts

Back