Simcoe single hop APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahmbush

Reaction score
Looking for some input on this recipe. Going to brew this weekend

Simcoe single hop APA
5 Gallon recipe

5 lb Briess golden light dme
.5 lb white wheat for steeping
.5 lb Cara 40 for steeping

.5 oz Simcoe 13% 60min 22.17 ibu
.5 oz Simcoe 13% 15min 11.0 ibu
1 oz Simcoe 13% 5min ibu 8.84 ibu
4 oz Simcoe 13% Dry hop 7 days

Wyeast 1450 - Denny's Favorite 50 Ale

Primary for 2-3 weeks, secondary with dry hops for one week, then bottle condition.

I love Simcoe, but IMO is is best when paired with other hops such as Amarillo, Citra, Cascade, and Centennial... Will be interesting.

My lovely wife gave me a birthday gift of 1 lb each of Galaxy, Citra, Simcoe, Summit, Warrior, Santiam hops. I want to brew a single hop beer of each then try mixing them up after.

+1. If you like Simcoe, go for it. I don't like simcoe as a hop by itself. I like just a little bit of Simcoe mixed with other hops, like what heavywalker mentioned.

4oz dryhop is a lot in a pale ale also. I would add 1oz at flame out and cut the dry hop down to 2oz.

My lovely wife gave me a birthday gift of 1 lb each of Galaxy, Citra, Simcoe, Summit, Warrior, Santiam hops. I want to brew a single hop beer of each then try mixing them up after.

I make an all Citra Pale Ale which has turned into my house beer. Absolutely love that hop and that beer!

I have a single hop simcoe pale that I do that I love. I usually do 4 oz of dry hops in my big ipas, and only 2 oz in my apas but I'm curious how yours will turn out.. I'm a big fan of simcoe, and I think it's a great choice for a single hop beer.

I'm the opposite, I guess. I'd prefer simcoe as a single hop over citra.

Some constructive feedback on the recipe:

flaked grains still need to be mashed. You might want to just pick up a one pound bag of wheat dme. (and cut your base malt accordingly to balance it out, as well)

I believe big dry hops are out of style for APAs. You lose the malt balance in the flavor and aroma. Personally, I dont dry hop APAs at all. I'd recommend ditching the dry hop and the 5 min addition, and replace them with a 2oz flameout addition. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit 30 minutes.

TBH, at quick glance, your recipe looks more like an IPA. Just change your 60 min hop to one ounce and its perfect (as an IPA).

My $0.02

I make an all Citra Pale Ale which has turned into my house beer. Absolutely love that hop and that beer!

Me too. Citra is my favorite. I have two house brews - variants of each other - that are all-Citra. In fact, I had to force myself not to buy more Citra ladt time I purchased hops in an effort to branch out.

Back