Silicone tube ID size for 1/2" barb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Reaction score
I have a 1/2" barb on my kettle and mash tun and need tubing. Should I go with 3/8" ID or will 1/2" ID hold?

Last edited:
It looks like the brew hardware pickup tube OD is 5/8 so the ID is probably sitting around 1/2". I don't see an issue with a bottleneck here. Get some high temp 1/2" silicone tubing and get some beer flowing. Mmmm beer....

Brew on! :bigmug:

IME, 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs more often needs clamps (so the tubing doesn't come off). If you use 5/8" barbs with 1/2" ID tubing, you don't need clamps. I wouldn't trust the 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs with any kind of restriction without clamps in place. I had too many cases where they separated when clamps weren't used to ever try that again. It's also why all my 1/2" tubing is connected to 5/8" barb fittings.

IME, 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs more often needs clamps (so the tubing doesn't come off). If you use 5/8" barbs with 1/2" ID tubing, you don't need clamps. I wouldn't trust the 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs with any kind of restriction without clamps in place. I had too many cases where they separated when clamps weren't used to ever try that again. It's also why all my 1/2" tubing is connected to 5/8" barb fittings.

Yeah I've heard a few speak of this but haven't had the issue myself. Good advice nonetheless. I tend to buy barbs that are longer than the average ones sold so that may be it.

The ID of my 5/8" OD diptubes is 9/16". There's nothing wrong with using 1/2" ID silicone on 1/2" barbs but you may need hose clamps depending on what kind of pressure you build in the line. I'm a fan of the larger oversized QD barbs but so far the Amazon design thieves have not figured it out yet.
1634002107131.png

I recently switched out my nylon re-reinforced tubing with silicone, as the vinyl was getting hard and ugly. Although the silicone hose was pliable and handled the hot wort with ease, it did kink, stopping my pump flow on several occasions during chilling. I found a couple hose radius brackets (for 3/4 PEX) at my hardware store and will try them to see if it helps to reduce kinking. Thoughts?

Back