Sight Glass Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine finally came. It was almost a month since I paid via Paypal, but there here. Thanks for putting the work in on this Ian.

Cheers,
Mike

Again, my apologies for the shipping problems. I didn't realize how long it would take to get these to you guys once the post office had them in their possession. I am going to the post office today to see if they can waive their dimensions criteria for priority mail so that these will arrive quicker in the future. Looks like I planned everything out but this part.... I'm very underimpressed with their speeds on parcel post.

I would just like to let everyone know that people have been getting them over the last 4-5 days, so if you haven't seen yours yet, it is coming.

Also, as you all install them and such, I would still like to see how they are working. You all have my email if you ordered from me so you can email me with updates.

Thanks,

Ian

Mine arrived!
I have a buddy who's handier than I am that will be doing my conversions next week! I can't wait!

I finally go mine installed in my HLT and brewed with it (actually about a week and a half ago) I had some trouble getting it sealed where water wasn't seeping through for some reason. I switched to the second one that I bought and tightened it down and it didn't leak. Not sure what the difference was, maybe just my tightening method.

Oh well once I got it installed and not leaking it worked great. Much nicer not having to climb the ladder to look into my HLT to see how much water is in there. :mug:

FYI to all:

I really didn't want to do this but Ian has not replied to either of the PMs I've sent him or commented on the posts I've made indicating I haven't received my sight glass.

I paid for my sight glass via PayPal on September 29th and still have received nothing.

You can draw your own conclusions and act accordingly but I'll be starting a PayPal claim within the next week.

I have no interest in slandering good people so if Ian decides to get a hold of me or send me the item I paid for I will amend or edit this post to clear his name.

Mine are installed and working. I think they ship in the most inexpensive (and thus slowest) method, to save money. I'm sure Ian will be back around soon.

I'd like to blame it on the USPS but the tracking number Ian sent me indicates "Electronic Shipping Info Received". I've ordered many many things via the internet and this is typically the message displayed when the shipper has gone through the steps on-line to get the postage but hasn't actually delivered the item to the carrier.

I still have no personal ill-will towards Ian so I hope all the indicators that he's shafted me somehow prove to be wrong.

USPS tracking info has been notoriously bad in my experience. When Ian shipped out my sight glass, it had the same message about "shipping info received" until 2-3 days AFTER it was actually delivered. And cheap shipping was chosen, so it went pretty slow.

I agree that USPS tracking is nowhere near as good as UPS or Fedex. Unless he can show the tracking as "package delivered", he's still on the hook as far as paypal's buyer protection is concerned.

It typically only indicates that a label was printed and then that it has been delivered (this one usually hits the website 3 days after it's actually delivered).

That's odd. I forgot to post but I received my sight glasses within days of ordering. He was extremely prompt.

Has anyone heard from its02003? I PM'd him, he hit me back agreeing to a sale, and I paypal'd him money on October 21st. I haven't heard from him since despite PM's and direct emails. :(

I really don't think he's intentionally trying to scam me out of 20 bucks but this is frustrating nonetheless.

Did you report it to paypal? If he doesn't respond to the dispute, they'll shut his paypal account down until you get your money back. He might be a good guy in a rough spot right now but after a month, there's no excuse at all.

Thats pretty strange... Especially considering how many people he actually delivered to. Did anyone get his email address? When it gets to this point, you just gotta hope that the guy is okay and is just a dick. I'd rather have someone take my 30 bucks than know they are hurt/sick, etc...

I'd rather have someone take my 30 bucks than know they are hurt/sick, etc...

Hmmm, that's debatable...

Hurt as in car accident on the way to the post office to mail some sight tubes? Yeah I would feel kinda bad.

Hurt as in leaving the bank after depositing my money and on his way to Cancun but just tripped on the sidewalk and lost a tooth or two in the process... Nahhhhhh.

;)

no need to sensationalize what I'm saying. You obviously understood where I'm coming from. The seller delivered on a number of units from what I can tell, so to me, logically, it doesn't make sense that he would scam just a few people when he had the chance to scam so many. Since this all went through pay pal, the scammed buyers are protected. It's a shame that this has happened, and I'm certainly not siding with the seller. I'm just hoping all is well since this doesn't really make sense.

Just trying to lighten up a ****ty situation for some of those out there. Didn't know you were too upset to take a joke.

I just spoke to Ian via AIM... I'm going to contact an admin to be sure I can post the conversation here, and then I'll edit this

I hear that... I'm waiting on a response from Edwort to be sure I can post the AIM conversation... I'm sure you'll be happy to read it...

Ah, there we go! I just got an email from him through paypal. He gave me my money back and says he's going to send it anyway!

I dunno what happened but I knew he wasn't just jerking me around.

no he wasnt... it sounds like the guy is going through a rough time right now...

its02003: Yes, who is this?
Moondogy42O: Tony from HBT
Moondogy42O: some people are looking for their site glasses...
its02003: I thought I had shipped them all out
Moondogy42O: I don't think so
its02003: ill take a look at my emails
Moondogy42O: i'd log in to take care of it... two people have filed claims on paypal...
its02003: work blocked access to the email address I use all the time
its02003: will do
its02003: my apologies
Moondogy42O: i've talked to you in the past so i never thought you seemed like a bad guy
its02003: life has been a little hectic
Moondogy42O: ya it happens...
its02003: well.... more than a little hectic
its02003: ill take care of it tonight
Moondogy42O: just giving you a heads up incase you catch a s*** storm
its02003: no access to any of this stuff at work
its02003: im sure I will
its02003: wont be any different than work or home is these days
its02003: :-(
Moondogy42O: sorry to hear that
its02003: ill issue refunds to the people that paid
its02003: and still ship out the glasses
its02003: if you want to, you can post that where everyone is complaining
Moondogy42O: that would be a good idea to show some good faith
Moondogy42O: i told people that you were a good guy, and that i'm sure that there is a resonable explanation as to why you may not be available
Moondogy42O: some people don't understand that life comes before HBT... thats why I won't sell anything on there any more
its02003: if I actually went into details as to the "reasonable explanation" I would probably get a movie deal
Moondogy42O: haha... thats a pretty good quote
its02003: If you could do me a favor and just post an update, I will have that all figured out by the week's end
Moondogy42O: no problem...
its02003: I appreciate the time you took to contact me.... and the vote of support
Moondogy42O: any time... i'm always around for people that help out the HBT community
its02003: appreciate it
Moondogy42O: i just sent a message to an administrator to be sure I can post the convo...
its02003: gotcha

Well I can't say I'm happy to hear that his life has gotten crazy but thanks for getting his attention for me. Whatever happened must have come right after I contacted him.

Back