sight glass boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
I have installed a sight glass in my kettle and it has an open top. When I'm brewing the damn thing bubbles and spills wort out of it. Do any of you guys cap yours or have a tip? I thought about using tape but I didn't want to because I can't sanitize it. And if I cap it I can't clean it properly. Any advice is welome.

I have seen that the sight glasses need a heat shield of some sort to keep this from happening... I know BobbyM sells them at his online store...

If you permanently cap it, the wort won't fill it rendering it useless.

Maybe you can extend it somehow? I think that might be your best option.

Ha thanks geckholm I just gor it. Ill just use some tubing to go back into the kettle. Thanks for the idea.

A heat shield fixes it. put some aluminum foil on the burner under the sight glass and problem solved!

I bought the sightglass from brewhardware.com and it works great but found i had the same issue with it bubbling. I emailed him and then bought the headshield and it still bubbles pretty good but its not as vigorous as before. Next batch im gonna try using aluminum foil under it as well and see if that keeps it from bubbling completely.

I boight the same one from brew hardware. I have some extra high temp tubing and I just put it on top so it just goes into the keggle so it can bubble away.. No need for heat shield.

I dunno, I would go with the heat shield. The hose will still allow bubble to form in the tube. What good is that? I watch my site glass and monitor my boil off rate. If it's bobbing all over the place, I can't. Simple piece of panning works great and your golden.

I dunno, I would go with the heat shield. The hose will still allow bubble to form in the tube. What good is that? I watch my site glass and monitor my boil off rate. If it's bobbing all over the place, I can't. Simple piece of panning works great and your golden.

This is just my experience but it isn't bubbling the entire time its boiling. It goes up and down, say 4-5 times throughout an hour long boil. Will bubble for a few minutes and then stop, at which time you can get a good idea of how much wort is left in the kettle.

I like the idea of the tubing though, cheaper then buying the heat shield, although if u have the thermometer/prob integrated into the sight glass, its still good to buy the shield to provide some protection to the face of the thermometer itself

Back