Side x Side Build Defrost Timer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbeer

Reaction score
First I would like to thank Mr. Darkwoods for the inspiration to build this and to the others who posted here who helped me understand how to wire it without burning my (brew house) workshop down. The Queen, er my Wife loves it, that's sayin' something. Thank you guys.
This is a Whirlpool ED25RF. Has anybody gone into the defrost timer to decrease the defrost time? I'm getting some big temp swings during defrost cycle. With it running on temp control, it's not running long enough to frost the coils much. So I thought cutting back on defrost time would help with temp control.

DSCN2797.jpg

DSCN2799.jpg

DSCN2800.jpg

A quick check on the 'net showed that timer's defrost period is 21 minutes every 8 HRS. You could try bypassing it so there is no defrost cycle and see how it runs using your controllers. Maybe a manual defrost could then be done once in awhile if icing becomes a problem. There are similar defrost timing motors which different timing values and I think there are universal models that can be set by the user but they cost more than the fixed time models.

Back