Side-by-side refers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowger

Reaction score
Ideally, I would like a 48" wide by 24" deep by 34.5" high refer for my undercounter kegerator, but I don't think they make something this size -- all the 48" wide units seem to be 30" deep.

Instead, I was thinking that it might be easier just to mate two 24" wide refers side-by-side, drill a hole between them, and then run beer lines as normal. Has anyone ever done this?

No I haven't. Hell I haven't actually done anything kegerator related at all. But I have read a lot of post because I would like to build one. I've actually looked at keezer builds because chest freezers can hold around 4 kegs. If I'm going to build, I want to make it worth my while. But this idea of joining 2... Hmmm... Very interesting. I live in a college town, so used small fridges are pretty cheap at the end of each semester.

(Sorry I didn't have anything to contribute. I just wanted to show my support.)

Ideally, I would like a 48" wide by 24" deep by 34.5" high refer for my undercounter kegerator, but I don't think they make something this size -- all the 48" wide units seem to be 30" deep.

Instead, I was thinking that it might be easier just to mate two 24" wide refers side-by-side, drill a hole between them, and then run beer lines as normal. Has anyone ever done this?

DISCLAIMER: I haven't built a kegerator, but I've been researching doing so soon.

From what I've read in the various Kegerator build threads here cutting into the side is a VERY risky procedure. While some units have no cooling lines in the top they ALL have lines in the side. Cutting or even just nicking one will turn your fridge into curb fodder.

I've seen some people here have done it, but you really can't use power tools. You need to slowly and carefully cut into the wall and clear the insulation by hand to find a clear path through the wall.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't built a kegerator, but I've been researching doing so soon.

From what I've read in the various Kegerator build threads here cutting into the side is a VERY risky procedure. While some units have no cooling lines in the top they ALL have lines in the side. Cutting or even just nicking one will turn your fridge into curb fodder.

Great input, thank you!! I didn't even consider this, and probably would have stumbled right into some very expensive cooling lines...

However, since I have room above, I'm thinking I could just run lines over from top to top. Would need to figure out how to insulate them really well, maybe get some passive cooling from copper jackets, etc.

Back