Side by Side Kegerator Thermostat Wiring Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milo1818

Reaction score
I'm working on creating a kegerator/fermentation chamber out of a side by side fridge/freezer and I'm having some trouble understanding how to wire in the ITC-1000. I'm very much a novice when it comes to electronics and wiring, so that's pretty much the biggest issue.

My goal is to bypass the original thermostat and use the ITC-1000 to control the compressor (while leaving the defrost board intact and operational), and then use a second ITC-1000 to control 2 AC computer fans to help circulate air from the freezer to the fridge. I've seen a lot of writeups on the forum that want to accomplish the same thing, but I haven't been able to apply that information to my particular situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Refrigerator%20Wiring%20Diagram_zpsbfznuujd.jpg
[/URL]

So after talking to a few people, I think that I have it mostly figured out...in theory. First, I'll have to cut and pigtail the black and white wires going to the defrost board. The pigtail of the black wire will go into input 1 on the temperature controller and the pigtail of the white wire will go into input 2 on the temperature controller.

Next, I'll jump a wire from input 1 to input 7 in order to send power to the relay. Input 8 will contain the red wire that runs from the original thermostat to the compressor.

This leaves me with a couple of questions though. What do I do with the remaining red and orange wire connected to the original thermostat? Also, according to the ITC 1000 wiring diagram, I should have a neutral and ground coming from the cooling element and the neutral should also be connected to the neutral wire in input 2. I'm not sure that I understand how to accomplish this. Can anyone clarify this part for me?

Also, can anyone confirm that I am on the right track with everything else?

ITC%201000%20Official%20Wiring%20Diagram_zps05kvvclp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back