Sickness from too much Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rody

Reaction score
First time brewer...Imperial Pale Ale and dry hopped with Simcoe after a week in the primary...I left the beer for two weeks and bottled. I drank a 12 oz and a bomber that was not chilled very long last weekend...8 days after bottling. They have been sitting in 68 degree average thru brewing and bottling. Beer tasted great, well carbonated, but was a little cloudy. The bomber was the last beer bottled and it had alot of sediment.
24 hours later my body violently purged.

Questions...
1) Was I too anxious and drank too many suspended active yeast cells which obviously caused a severe reaction?
2) Will futher time in the bottle (conditioning) and possible refrigeration clear the yeast, make it dormant, and I should be able to enjoy the beer?
3) I do know to pour the beer and leave the sediment, but how do I avoid getting sick again? I believe I have a high tolerance, I only drink IPA and Imperial IPA's...recently alot of my store purchases have had sediment in the beers, SmuttyNose for instance.
4) This site is great and I have read alot about primamary only brewing (no secondary), so on "big beers" (Imperials or Doubles) can I leave in the primary on the yeast cake for more than two weeks and what time frame would you recommend.

Rody

If you have had other bottle conditioned beers before and been fine, it's not your beer. Yeast is good for you. I always drank the sediment when I bottled my beers. Are you sure you didn't eat something bad or get a stomach virus? Mix meds and booze that shouldn't have been mixed? Any of that is much more likely.

It would have been long gone by the 24hr mark. On the three times I have had food poisoning it kicked in..... or better out, within 5 hours

+1 to the flu or food poisoning but not from the beer or yeast.

I drank a small cup of trub before on a dare/bet, no ill results. I don't know how many billions of cells dead or alive were ingested.

I drank a bottle, maybe 22oz, of some juice that was fermenting, while it was still mostly sweet. Had been a few days since the yeast went in. Tasted great, but was a very bad decision. It severed my intestine entirely at one spot, have a colostomy now. There may be some other factors involved but I was relatively healthy and young. All things are good, in moderation.

How did it severe it? Was it the gas pressure? Infection?
Only thing I can think of that could lead to a colostomy is undiagnosed celiac disease but that:

1 - has nothing to do with yeast
2 - the damage is cumulative so it cannot come from just one ingestion but it takes years and years of exposure to gluten to cause severe damage up to and including death

Only thing I can think of that could lead to a colostomy is undiagnosed celiac disease but that:

he said it was juice, so maybe it's diagnosed celiac....never knew it would blow your guts though!

edit: and i eat half ounce of yeast, or try to, most days for folate and thiamin...

I drank a bottle, maybe 22oz, of some juice that was fermenting, while it was still mostly sweet. Had been a few days since the yeast went in. Tasted great, but was a very bad decision. It severed my intestine entirely at one spot, have a colostomy now. There may be some other factors involved but I was relatively healthy and young. All things are good, in moderation.

I find this difficult to understand- there is more involved than an actively fermenting juice. Drinking actively fermenting/live ferment beverages is pretty common and has been for about as long as the species has been upright! Unpasteurized fresh cider is certainly fermenting to a degree almost from the moment it is pressed. Kombucha, Tepache, ginger beer, Kvass, and certainly dozens of other everyday or peasant beverages of low alcohol content are active ferments such as you describe - and I never heard of them blowing out someones guts! I have been consuming such for 30 plus years without busting yet. I have expanded a good bit, but have not exploded.

Back