Shurflow Brew Buddy Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio-Ed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about Shurflo Brew Buddy pumps?

I bought a bunch of stuff off a guy that he had in storage and one of these pumps was included.

It is an impeller pump rated to 104c. Searching google turned up some old threads from other forums, no info on the Shurflow web site.

Looks like it is a self priming pump but no longer manufactured.

I haven't even plugged it in to see if it runs, just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks,
Ed

"impeller" and "self priming" are normally opposites... that is definately a discontinued model, i cant find anything on it.

what info were you specifically looking for?

"impeller" and "self priming" are normally opposites... that is definately a discontinued model, i cant find anything on it.

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking for someone that may have actually used one, or someone that knew why they were discontinued.

Someone with some experience that could confirm they are self priming, or if they are a decent pump.

Ed

An impeller (or impellar) is a rotor inside a tube or conduit used to increase the pressure and flow of a fluid.

Nothing to do with self priming.

Fer crying out loud, plug it in!

_

Yea, guess I would have thought of that eventually :)

That will certainly answer the question "does it run?", and maybe "is it self priming?" But it won't tell me much about good or bad experiences folks had with them. I was hoping an "Old Timer" would chime in.

Ed

Send it to me, I'll even cover shipping. I'll test it and tell you how it works out.

I don't own one of these, but did find this about them on one website:

""Several homebrew merchants sell heat-resistant pumps with a pump section that is magnetically coupled to the electric motor (the pump can stall or stop and not burn out the motor). I chose a non-magnetic pump from Beer, Beer and More Beer rated to 220° F. It uses a flexible impeller (pump) that resists clogging and heat and can pump wort 7.5 feet higher than its inlet (called the head). The SHURflo Brew Buddy self-priming pump comes with a mounting bracket, an on-off switch and a rebuild kit. It is threaded inside and outside the intake and discharge, which makes for easy hook-up."

Hey Ed,
Do you still have the Shurflo Pump? If so, would you be interested in selling it?
We have one on our pilot system and the input side of the plastic just cracked.

Shoot me an email: [email protected]

Thanks!
Chris

I noticed this and a similar beer pump on the micromatic website. For $90 this must surely be the cheapest, easiest and possibly best way to do 'nitro/cask ale (don't tell CAMRA)' style dispensing to a kegerator with only co2 and a stout tap?

Very small size pump so can fit inside fridge.
no electric ( i think?)
connect existing co2 up to it, (need another regulator at high pressure)
pour through standard stout tap, beer in keg stays at low psi and thus carbonation, beer going through tap is at 30 psi to get through restrictor disc as you would with nitro.
no wasting of beer sat hot outside in beer engine.
No nice looking/cool beer engine however is the down side.

Did I miss something ? I must have because no-one else seems to be using these for dispensing homebrew.

Back