Show off your 2012 Hops garden!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The third year mystery hops (Mt. Hood I think?) have taken over the shop...
Nice burs all over the tops.
Six new first year varieties on the bamboo trellis; Willamette, Nugget, Centennial, Golding, Cascade and Liberty.

Hops 01.jpg

Hops 02.jpg

Hops 03.jpg

First year cascades. 11 feet tall and full of new cones! I wasn't expecting this much this year. My centennial plant got weed whacked by the landscaping guy (who was fired shortly after). It is making a comeback but will not produce anything this year. The pics are of the cascades.

ForumRunner_20120716_084846.jpg

ForumRunner_20120716_085252.jpg

this is my first year growing hops. So far my hops have exceeded my expectations. I have 1 Cascade, 1 Galena that I purchased from my LHBS (Brewmasters warehouse).. The Cascade has reached the end of the string at 22ft and has continued another foot past that. it is LOADED with cones and burrs. The Galena was a slow starter and has now hit 10 feet and is starting to set burrs. The three other rhizomes I got were from a friend. He wasn't 100% sure if they were Crystal or Ultra but these have taken off like crazy. 3 plants with 5-6 bines each have hit the top of the line at 25 feet (vertical and some diagonal) and they're loaded with cones as well. They have also set a LOT more burrs in the last week so I'll be getting a couple harvest out of these. If they're producing this well in year 1, I can't wait to see how well they do for years 2 and 3!

2012-07-14093028.jpg

^^cascade looking down from second story deck. bine goes another 4 feet up

2012-07-11171706.jpg

^^Mmmm Cascade goodness

Ultra/Crystal??
IMG_20120621_113722.jpg

Hops from the beginning of June:
hops20100624.jpg

Poles are 16 feet high....4 varieties on each pole....2 plants of each variety.

I think most of my hops are dead, after seven years of struggling. Weather in the coastal hills tends to be extreme and two cold, cloudy, damp summers in a row was too much for them. I'll be digging what's left up in the Spring and moving them to my new place. Everything we've planted at this house has done well.

I think most of my hops are dead, after seven years of struggling. Weather in the coastal hills tends to be extreme and two cold, cloudy, damp summers in a row was too much for them. I'll be digging what's left up in the Spring and moving them to my new place. Everything we've planted at this house has done well.

That is a Bummer. I have friends in Texas that tried to raise hops. I sent them multiple rhizomes over the years. They finally gave up. Some areas in the country are great for raising hops, others not so good.

Like I said in an earlier post, I live 15 miles from commercial hop growers, so I live in the right area.

A good friend of mine was in a bad auto accident back around Easter, so he asked me to help tend his second year Cascades plants.

Here's a look at the trellis system we set up in early May:

ddd891be.jpg

a7a7af33.jpg

And here's the growth through this past weekend:

fdd20db9.jpg

Have already harvested over a pound (dry) and still a ton more left! Some of these will be contributed to a local craft brewery (http://www.hardywood.com/) for a community-hopped IPA later this year.

Bummer, I think this may be my eventual demise as well. Really seems that hops don't like the cool nights we get here. I'm gonna keep trying though.

A good friend of mine was in a bad auto accident back around Easter, so he asked me to help tend his second year Cascades plants.

ddd891be.jpg

a7a7af33.jpg

fdd20db9.jpg

Have already harvested over a pound (dry) and still a ton more left! Some of these will be contributed to a local craft brewery (http://www.hardywood.com/) for a community-hopped IPA later this year.

Nice......very nice. My Hops are at least 4 weeks away from Harvest.
Where do you live?

Just over half finished, finished another row, starting another one, and the two small rows left to install.

ForumRunner_20120720_134632.jpg

Done with the vertical posts, now the endposts, and cables. Not sure if to hold off with cables and endposts, and just rigging strings a simpler way for now, I have many cones starting, and don't want them sitting in the dirt.

ForumRunner_20120721_211816.jpg

This lone chinook is the only rhizome that grew for me. Its still only about 18 inches long.

ForumRunner_20120721_233126.jpg

IMAG0712.jpg

My two cascades my friend gave me the one on the right is monstrous for a first year. The second on the left has had issues since I planted it but is finally starting to show some life and send out health shoots. Also these are both grown in an earthtainer, next year I'm gonna separate them and put them in their own.

Jamminjoenapo said:
My two cascades my friend gave me the one on the right is monstrous for a first year. The second on the left has had issues since I planted it but is finally starting to show some life and send out health shoots. Also these are both grown in an earthtainer, next year I'm gonna separate them and put them in their own.

That one on the right is huge for a first year!

BigJay13 said:
That one on the right is huge for a first year!

I thought so too. It grew up over the fence about 4 or 5 feet and was growing 4 inches per day at the fastest. I want to say the fence is about 12 feet tall. Also tons of buds on it right now. Can't wait for harvest.

Just got the drip irrigation done :rockin:. This years growth was quite crappy due to my work schedule and lack of water during the hot parts of the summer. Oddly enough, even tho alot of the leaves fell off, there are new side shoots at each node about an inch long each. Might be able to salvage them with this irrigation after all. Next year will be nuts for sure!

ddd891be.jpg

a7a7af33.jpg

fdd20db9.jpg

how tall are the pipes i think this might be the way i go next year nice and easy not complicated. but i might still go with my purgala set up i have been thinking about but guess we will see

how tall are the pipes i think this might be the way i go next year nice and easy not complicated. but i might still go with my purgala set up i have been thinking about but guess we will see

Those pipes are in two sections. The first year they were about 22' high, but that put a lot of stress on the sissel. This year we dropped them a few feet, I think they're probably at about 15' which seems to be working well.

14 tomato plants, 4 jalepeno, 2 zucc's, 12 kalarabi,row of potato, pumpkins, onions, 2 short rows of corn, row of carrots, blueberries, and OF COURSE, HOPS!!!!

that would be perfect thanks hollow i think i might go with that idea for my garden next year and i work in a machine shop so getting 17-18 foot pieces of round bar isn't to tuff for me. lol

plant.jpg

Arizona Chinook Hops. First attempt. Cascade is on the right of it (not pictured) and not doing as well. I am happy with the results. I wish I didnt have a damn HOA restriction, and wish I had more room for them. Thank god I have a huge wall in my back yard due to the neighbors behind us being at a higher grade. Good soil, lots of water (3 times a day), and 7 hours of Arizona sun a day. Oh, and nitrogen fertilizer too. First time growing anything this year, and cannot wait until the cones are ready.

I don't have much to show for mine. A couple of months ago, my plant was doing well. Now, because of the heat, it isn't doing so well. It appears to be cooling off finally in Wi, so we'll see what next month brings.

Here are pics of my 2nd year Vancouver balcony hops. I have 2 plants - Willamette on the left, Cascade on the right. 2 lines per plant, 2 bines per line attached to 3 points. The containers are large rubbermaid (about 125L) full of potting soil (Cascade on the left in this pic). The centre container is a failed vegetable garden. The last pic is the view from the upstairs neighbour's balcony. There are a lot of burrs, hopefully they all turn into decent cones.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

These are my first-year Cascades. I planted two rhizomes from Windy Hill Hop Farm in southern Illinois this spring, and they seem to be doing pretty well. There appears to be a bit of aphid damage on the lower leaves, so I gave them a light spray insecticidal soap. Burrs actually started forming two weeks ago, so for first-year bines I'm doing ok.

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

Update on the first year Brewer's Gold. I've got some yellowing on the outer edges of some of the leaves but the plant doesn't seem to be struggling.

And holy carp, those look like real cones! :rockin:
2012-07-29_10-10-32_594.jpg

Harvested a couple of oz's of nugget and 15 oz of cascade today.probably only a 10th of the total but these were the first to bur and I didn't want to let them go past their prime.

image-3011878357.jpg

image-3319538312.jpg

Pulled the trigger on my Cascades today, harvested what will be about half of the season yield if the remaining cones fully mature. I pulled 65 ounces wet weight off the bines today.

hops_29july2012_02.jpg

Clipped a bunch of angels, eleven of them together weighed almost an ounce.
hops_29july2012_01.jpg

Moved the single tier (in progress) out of the shop, "liberated" some window screens and assembled my high tech hop drier ;)
hops_29july2012_03.jpg

All of that to put ~13 ounces of fresh Cascades in the freezer.

Centennial will be next...

Cheers!

My garden is for my nanobrewery I am launching in a few months. My friend is a landscape architect and he designed this cool trellis system we made out of bamboo we harvested and cured. The arms raise and lower. Within the garden are blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, and black currants.

406712_10100690556047019_851124870_n.jpg

Massive, massive first year cascades. They look like second year, I have no idea how they did this.

600961_10100646795822859_969828446_n.jpg

Trellis system. Inside the squares are the different berries.

Back