Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my new stand, not quite finished. Still need to mount the casters, pumps and two burners to each side of the MASH tun (and get the flashing to help dissipate heat. Probably going to put some sort of sheet metal on the bottom too to help with water

IMG_20140406_180020_707_zpsvuleucge.jpg

won't the wooded support blocks get torched?

won't the wooded support blocks get torched?

There aren't support blocks. There is an inch of clearance between the burners and any wood. The burners are bolted on. I'm also adding some flashing to help dissipate the heat but from the tests I've done so far the the wood doesn't get hot enough to ignite.

Here's a new, crappy picture with most everything mounted except the flashing which is tomorrows project and I need to figure out a way to mount the chiller.

Looking good. How's that working out for you with the pumps so close to the mash tun? I'm about to build a stand and trying to figure it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looking good. How's that working out for you with the pumps so close to the mash tun? I'm about to build a stand and trying to figure it all out.

Was that to me? What do you mean?

Okay. Well here is mine for what it's worth. I think the only thing that I had to buy to build it was the casters from Harbor Freight. All the rest was just lumber, screws, carriage bolts, etc. that I had on hand.
Under the pots, MLT I have an 18x18 ceramic or porcelain tile. I was at the tile shop picking up a small order for work and asked where their bargain bin was. The guy gave them to me for free.

The black paint will hide a lot of sins. :mug:

I don't love the idea of having a separate prop I need to use, but this does seem like a reasonable solution. Does anyone else have a 6 foot span like this that knows if sagging is even an issue?

A little late to reply (you've certainly tackled this already) but my stand is about 6' across and I have casters supporting only the corners with 0 sagging. If I put all of my brewing equipment, a wet mash and a rhinoceros on the middle, it still would not sag.

Screen+Shot+2014-04-21+at+12.52.07+PM.png

Yep! I've heard that one needs at least 18in to prime the pump. Yours seems closer than that. Have you run into any priming issues?

So that's why I actually have been having priming issues! But it feels somewhat random. Thanks, didn't know this. I thougt it was the outlet which was important.

I hope I can fit it lower.

It was plenty of work. Took a total of 2 days to get everything cut, bolted and tightened down and tweaked. It is a simple design but very strong and easy to move around.

No no, never mind, I was just being snarky. A lot of people miss the word 'wood' in the thread title in their excitement to show off their fancy new brew rig. Your kit is very nice and I'd be proud to own it.

So that's why I actually have been having priming issues! But it feels somewhat random. Thanks, didn't know this. I thougt it was the outlet which was important.

I hope I can fit it lower.

My vessels are less than 18in to the pump, and I don't notice any more priming issues now then when I had them positioned further away.

Here is what I've been brewing on for almost 3 years. I've finally replaced most of the tubing with 1/2" copper (at least the fixed parts). My favorite part is the pump intake manifold.

0503141218.jpg

0329141510a.jpg

0504140837.jpg

This is my current project which is almost done. Not a HERMS setup. I just need to finish up the control panel, which will be simple. Two switches for the pumps, I'll have some digital temp displays, a key switch, and some lights and that's it.

IMAGE_2403.jpg

I looks like a window looking into a storage area. Like 3 inches below the HLT on the rig. What does an irrigation timer do for a HLT? I'm just curious.

I think you are seeing the heat shielding under the HLT... it's propane fired and the metal keeps the wood from scorching. The irrigation timer, is just that; it just happens to be on the wall behind the setup.

Damn it! I was actually referring to eaglerisingbrew's set up. I'm an idiot. Sorry man. Your rig is beautiful though and will probably model mine off yours a bit if that's any consolation.

Put this brew stand together. I wanted something cheap and easy but effective and this was the best option I could think of.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400374758.266549.jpg

That's pretty sweet. I'm a big fan of the concept of beauty in simplicity. What's the gadget on the mash?

I have a small pump that I use and it is just a copper line to transfer off the pump to the boil kettle.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400422527.125301.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400422541.625418.jpg
Just finished my MaltMeister 3000 yesterday. Now the only thing left to do is to make some beer!

Back