Show me your diy vent hood.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
I am looking for home made vent hood designs. By home made, I mean the fabrication of the hood itself was done by you.

I am thinking of making a wood vent hood with some sort of liner, but I would like to see what you did.

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on making one too and I'd love to see how other people went about making one

Right now, I am considering wood with Formica on the inside and using rtv silicone on all of the inside seams.

I am also considering polyiso foam panels the fiberglassing them. That would be more durable, but more work I think.

Any thoughts? Pictures of what you did?

"The only redemption I can offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood" - Bruce "ewww yuck" Springsteen

Here's my vent hood.
It's made from 1"x10" pine boards for the outside and 3/4" plywood for the top.
The outside - 3 coats of clear poly
The inside - corners were sealed with silicone, then 2 coats of roll on truck bed liner paint. (if it can hold up to weather it should handle the steam of a brew day)
I've been brewing with this hood for almost a year (maybe 7 or 8 batches) and it has held up incredibly well. It looks no different today than it did on it's first brew day.

20131102_155618.jpg
vent hood
20141018_192547.jpg
where i attached the duct
20141018_191807.jpg
hood size vs brew kettle size

I was thinking of doing exactly that with wood, but I did not think of the bed liner. How much did the whole thing cost?

I was contemplating using Formica with silicone at the edges. I was also thinking of maybe only covering the boil kettle like you did. I plan on putting lids on the HLT and MLT.

Thanks for the pics. They look great.

Price is hard to tell. The wood I had from a previous project. The roll on bed liner was around $20 or so.
Glad the pics helped.

Great pics everyone!

I think I am getting some good ideas.

I am thinking of only covering my BK. Does anyone see much of a downside?

My hood was made out of galvinized ductwork and IKEA lights.

That's a nice hood. :eek:nestar:

With the fan mounted horizontally, I would be concerned about water condensing inside the fan and sitting on the bottom of it. It happened to a window air conditioner I have. It eventually rusted out the bearings because it was splashing water all the time with the fan. Do you think it will be an issue? It feel like those fans would "drain" better in a vertical position. It doesn't look like you have that option though with the height of the ceiling in that room.

That's a nice hood. :eek:nestar:

With the fan mounted horizontally, I would be concerned about water condensing inside the fan and sitting on the bottom of it. It happened to a window air conditioner I have. It eventually rusted out the bearings because it was splashing water all the time with the fan. Do you think it will be an issue? It feel like those fans would "drain" better in a vertical position. It doesn't look like you have that option though with the height of the ceiling in that room.

Thanks. You are correct that I was unable to mount it vertically because of the ceiling height and condensation is an issue. It isn't too bad during the summer, but it is worse in when the steam hits the cold winter air. The housing doesn't have a complete seal, so once I start boiling I've just been letting it drip into my now emptied MLT. Eventually, I'm going drill a hole into the housing and add a drain. Hopefully before rusts makes its own... You have me worried now... Definitely better to mount it vertically if you can.

Here's another approach. A modular setup through an open basement window. I made it out of wood using a through wall exhaust fan mounted on a detachable frame . The exhaust fan has 3 speeds with the top speed greater than 2000 cfm. No issues with condensate even when the outside air is below freezing. Makeup air simply enters through an open 6 foot slider next to the brew setup.

The trim detail was added to emulate the top of an old copper brew kettle.

Here's a time laps of the build: https://youtu.be/G5LAI3Tm6MA

Cheers!

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

Brewery 7.jpg

way too nice for my barn, but if i were brewing in my house I would emulate that design. very nice!

Thanks Rudy! I appreciate your utilitarian approach. I do the same often. Works no fuss.

I wanted to keep mine very cheap and simple. $15 for a 4x8 sheet of insulation and $15 for a roll of aluminum duct tape. The rigid ductwork and lots more aluminum tape keep it secured to the ceiling. It works great, but I will add a lip around the bottom to keep steam from rolling out the bottom.

Wish I could claim the idea as my own, but I stole it from several other sources.

IMAG0073.jpg

This is what I did. I have a buddy who does siding for a living and had him bend up a hood from thicker gauge aluminum. Works well and cost about 50$

This looks really nice! Just like Kal's except just 1% of the price! lol! How is it held together? I'd really like to find someone near me that can do that

So I am making progress. I have a blower I am planning to use. I am trying to decide on the hood material. I am leaning toward using Formica over plywood with rtv used on the seams.

My brew stand is made from pallet racks with plywood and 2x4 shelves. So screwing in a hood would be easy.

What do you recommend?

Mine's just coned up galvanized steel that's spray painted with copper colored rustoleum. It's connected to an exhaust fan that's probably too large for the application but I don't have a drip of condensation on brew day that's for sure.
bGFPNbf.jpg
[/IMG]

I just finished building mine, its a husky aluminum diamond plate truck toolbox from home depot. $289, a 600cfm inline booster fan. I just took the lid off the toolbox flipped it over and cut a hole for the duct. Haven't tested it yet but I think it should work pretty well. Looks good at least..

I can't find any newer post on this site. Does anyone have any other ideas for a hood. I am setting up my electric brewery but, I can't find any ideas that I like. I would love to see some new ideas. Mine will be in my basement with easy access to an exit wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Mine's just coned up galvanized steel that's spray painted with copper colored rustoleum. It's connected to an exhaust fan that's probably too large for the application but I don't have a drip of condensation on brew day that's for sure.
bGFPNbf.jpg
[/IMG]

I like the copper paint, nice idea!

I can't find any newer post on this site. Does anyone have any other ideas for a hood. I am setting up my electric brewery but, I can't find any ideas that I like. I would love to see some new ideas. Mine will be in my basement with easy access to an exit wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

I just had an idea...

Take an old washing machine and gut it. Then cut it straight up the front in the middle, across the top, and down the back. Lay the left side on it's left side, and the right on it's right side so they are bottom to bottom. Then weld the bottoms together... It would probably look like ass, but you can usually get old appliances dirt cheap to free.

Back