Show me your decorative hops garden.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayFrae

Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently ordered a couple crowns from GreatLakesHops and when they arrived SWMBO was less than pleased that I had ordered them to begin with. She doesn't want our backyard to look like a hops farm. I was thinking about maybe training them to grow along arches or something so they aren't as much of an "eye sore" growing on twine against the house. (Personally, I think it looks awesome but I am WRONG. haha) I can't be the only one on here that is dealing with this.

If your SWMBO is against your hops growing, show me your solution!

2413.jpg

RX-DK-AP02402_golden-hops_s3x4_lg.jpg

2020312099.jpg

images

paul+bangay+mornington+peninsula+garden+pleached+hedge+tennis+court.jpg

wawona_porch_hops_vines_christy_dudley.jpg

61cBxDwwHEL.jpg

IMG_4044.JPG

Thanks! If I was to do an arch would planting one on either side of the arch make the plants compete too much with each other at the top?

I wouldnt be too concerned if they were the same type.
Hops-Cascade-Golden-J017255.jpg

This looks like 2 types and they seem healthy enough.

Another SLCitizen! Cheers!

I had the same problem when I started growing my hops. I ended up going with her suggestion of a double helix. Each pole is a 10' x 2" electrical conduit (with 2 feet buried) skewered with 24" threaded rod with eye bolts on the ends every 9" or so, rotating axially. I then threaded two steel cables through the eyebolts. The cable ends up being about 18 feet long, so a little short but it does the trick.

It wasn't cheap, comparatively, and it's a pain to harvest off of; but these are the sacrifices we make for love (not sure if I'm talking about the hops or my girlfriend, there).

The first pic is August of the first year. The second is from July of the second year.

007.jpg

040.jpg

Another SLCitizen! Cheers!

I had the same problem when I started growing my hops. I ended up going with her suggestion of a double helix. Each pole is a 10' x 2" electrical conduit (with 2 feet buried) skewered with 24" threaded rod with eye bolts on the ends every 9" or so, rotating axially. I then threaded two steel cables through the eyebolts. The cable ends up being about 18 feet long, so a little short but it does the trick.

It wasn't cheap, comparatively, and it's a pain to harvest off of; but these are the sacrifices we make for love (not sure if I'm talking about the hops or my girlfriend, there).

The first pic is August of the first year. The second is from July of the second year.

Wow! I am impressed! That looks awesome! I can see it being a pain to harvest off just about anything other than twine so I am already prepared to have to work harder for the harvest. I may have to adopt your idea! I love it! :mug:

Latest posts

Back