Show me your custom Spike brew kettle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmrybak

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning a eBIAB build around a custom Spike kettle and I'm still finalizing where I'd like all my ports place. So help a guy out, and show me your Spike kettle! I'd love to see what everyone else came up with, and see if I can improve my own plans at the same time.

Plus, who doesn't like to show off their gear a little bit? :D

Here's mine - I'm not wild about cleaning threads, so I went with welded TC. Thermowell is at about the 3 gallon mark. If I could do it again I'd put the valve directly under one of the handles instead of 90* offset for easier carrying. I'm using a Brugear v2 style dip tube from norcalbrewing. Very happy with the kettle quality!

kettle1.jpg

kettle_inside.jpg

I have 2 V.2 Spike Brewing Kettles - a 20G Mashtun and 30 Gal boil kettle from Spike Brewing. All with TC ports. I love'em.

outside1.jpg

outside2.jpg

20gFB.jpg

SB320g.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

FBinKettle.jpg

I designed my custom Spike 10g kettle for eBIAB on my stovetop with an element to boost to boil and strike temps (no 240v access). All TC ports for element, pickup, thermowell (or second element if I want later), and mash recirculation/ whirlpool arm.

More details here

Thanks for making this thread. I am designing a kettle right now with Spike for BIAB. I am just going pretty standard except moving the thermometer port and adding a whirlpool port.

Where are you all getting those beautiful whirlpool tubes?

Hit up jay at NorCal. They have standard sizes (10" drop with a port at 2" on the 10g puts you at the 4 gallon mark). Great guy to work with. Highly recommended.

I'd also recommend if you even think you might use another port at some point, go ahead and add it. $30 or $40 now feels a lot better than wishing you had another port later.

Hit up jay at NorCal. They have standard sizes (10" drop with a port at 2" on the 10g puts you at the 4 gallon mark). Great guy to work with. Highly recommended.

I'd also recommend if you even think you might use another port at some point, go ahead and add it. $30 or $40 now feels a lot better than wishing you had another port later.

Good point. I didn't plan on using tri clover ports but after checking this out I am considering it. I just planned on using cam locks since it is just a ball valve/dip tube and a whirlpool inlet I was adding.

TC versus NPT is a preference call. I prefer the easy cleaning, but finding some parts can be slightly more tricky. But I've found Jay at NorCal can whip you up pretty much anything you
need at very reasonable prices.

I still use cam locks too, but no threads to scrub.

Finally found a perfect fit for recirculating my Spike Brewing Mashtun, using TC parts from StillDragon (3/4" TC tubing), Brewer's Hardware (valves) and Glacier Tanks (RIMS module). Also the Chugger pump works great mounted vertically.

Mashtun_Recirculate_sm.jpg

recirculate_small.jpg

wow. impressive is a clear understatement. i wish i could find one of those adcraft induction burners in 120v for a reasonable price. for some reason the 120v is much more than comperable units. really cool!

anyone else have a custom set up to share? keep 'em coming! with the option to customize any way you see fit, its great to see what others are doing!

wow. impressive is a clear understatement. i wish i could find one of those adcraft induction burners in 120v for a reasonable price. for some reason the 120v is much more than comperable units. really cool!

anyone else have a custom set up to share? keep 'em coming! with the option to customize any way you see fit, its great to see what others are doing!

I agree they are alittle pricy, but it works great with my BCS-460. I found mine @ katom.com Compared to other induction hotplates this one has a manual dial that can control the wattage and turn it off. It beeps when it comes on, and because the BCS-460 controls it, it will turn off/on depending on the temperature I set in the mashtun (using a BCS-460 temp probe).

Finally got a chance to fit my custom dip tube. Nice and tight to the lip and edge of the kettle.

I ordered mine the other day and it should be here this week. Just did a simple 3 port, added a whirlpool port for my BIAB system.

I designed my custom Spike 10g kettle for eBIAB on my stovetop with an element to boost to boil and strike temps (no 240v access). All TC ports for element, pickup, thermowell (or second element if I want later), and mash recirculation/ whirlpool arm.

More details here

Were did you get that element if you dont mind me asking? Ive seen almost identical ones on alibaba with the quick disconnect.

Were did you get that element if you dont mind me asking? Ive seen almost identical ones on alibaba with the quick disconnect.

Don't mind at all. I got mine from Bobby at brewhardware.com . It's the TC integrated ripple element. Fits perfectly. So far works great. In a trial run last night it got me to strike water temp (162F in this case) in about 38 minutes even just running on 120v.

Does anyone know the approximate dead space on the Spike 10 gallon kettle? I'll be using the side arm dip tube that rests above the "ledge".

Just wondering as I wait for my shipment.

Does anyone know the approximate dead space on the Spike 10 gallon kettle? I'll be using the side arm dip tube that rests above the "ledge".

Just wondering as I wait for my shipment.

I just happened to measure mine yesterday. With my custom beveled diptube as pictured above (likely a touch lower than the Spike NPT version) I had just over 1500mL (about 1.6qt) of deadspace. Perfect if you ask me consiering I use brewing classic styles scaled recipes.

Back