Shouldn't BOTH gauges read zero when empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My five pound CO2 tank is empty. When I disconnect everything but the gauges and then open everything up, nothing comes out. However, my high-pressure gauge reads 400 while the low-pressure gauge reads zero.

Is something wrong with my high-pressure gauge?

My five pound CO2 tank is empty. When I disconnect everything but the gauges and then open everything up, nothing comes out. However, my high-pressure gauge reads 400 while the low-pressure gauge reads zero.

Is something wrong with my high-pressure gauge?

Both dials bottom out when empty. I have two systems with same behavior.

Are you sure you opened the regulator (turned the knob clockwise a few turns)? What happens if you remove the regulator set from the tank? Do the gauges go to zero? If you then open the tank valve does any gas come out?

I am sure that I opened the regulator. I would rather not remove the regulator from the tank. My early days with CO2 involved way too many leaks in way too many places and I don't want to recreate one of those leaks if I can help it.

I'll be driving by the place that fills my tanks tomorrow, so getting it filled won't be a problem.

Looks like besides having an empty tank you also have a defective regulator. On the bright side, it might just be the high-pressure manometer that has acquired an offset and now reads 400 PSI insteaf of 0 PSI.

I guess the guy at the filling station is nice enough to do it for him?

Removing the regulator changed nothing. It looks like maybe the face of the dial is uneven and the tip of the needle is contacting the surface.

Just had the same problem with mine, realized I had bumped the gauge and it was bent slightly. The needle was stuck so I thought I had plenty of gas and suddenly was out. Took the face off the gauge and gently bent it back and it dropped to zero.

How does the gauge cover come off? I poked at mine for a little while and did not find an obvious method. No doubt there is one, but not for me.

Some bezels are screwed on, others are pressed "over" the fixed side. If you're lucky there's no cement involved.
You can find replacements on Amazon for ~$10, just be sure to specify the correct thread and pressure range...

Cheers!

Or do like I did and replace the stupid manometer with a plug. With liquid gas a manometer will not give you any indication of how much is left anyway and by the time pressure starts dropping you'll be out of CO2 in no time. Your scale is the only instrument that will really give you indication of how much you have left.

Back