Should my trub....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
....drop after active fermentation has stopped? I have very little action in my airlock, had a very active fermentation. When I pulled the top off of my primary bucket to steal a sample, I still have quite a bit of trub hanging around. Now, I know the airlock is just one indicator, and not the most important one, but I guess im just looking for some reassuance on this, since it is the first time ive seen things go this way.

Of course, this means I will now be working on my diy project of putting a plexiglass window in the bucket lid, lol.

Yes, it will drop out eventually. The convection process of active fermentation kicks all of that stuff up and it often gets trapped in the krausen. As the foamy head dies down that stuff will get deposited back in the beer and will float back down to the bottom, along with a lot of the yeast that is currently in suspension.

What are you brewing? What yeast did you use? How long has it been in the bucket? What's the temp? What are your gravity readings?

Krausen sits on some of my brews for a long time.

manoaction said:
What are you brewing? What yeast did you use? How long has it been in the bucket? What's the temp? What are your gravity readings?

Krausen sits on some of my brews for a long time.

Im brewing a hybrid, using safale us05. Og was 1.060, and since the krausen was still sitting on top, I decided not to disturb it so I dont have anything other than that. Ferm. Temp has been steady at 63, which is about 6 to 7 degrees less than other recent brews. I have been in primary for 6 days, and I usually go to secondary for 2 weeks more, at least.

completely common... It'll hang out in suspension for some time. That's why many people leave the beer in the primary for up to a month and others rack to a secondary. One of the most common mistakes of homebrewers is being impatient and rushing the process. Doesn't sound like you're doing that, just the you're a bit worried about the overall clarity. Give it time...

Here is a pic of my krausen. Does this look normal? I havent had any airlock action in 2 days, ferming at 63. Ive been weary of stealing a sample with that much krausen still there. Thanks

ForumRunner_20110414_172231.jpg

looks fine. Many people bring let it sit at fermentation temps for 1-2 weeks (or longer for bigger beers) and then bring the temp up 2-3 degrees for a diacetyl rest for a week. Every yeast strain will look different as it ferments and the same strain will look different in different beers. Yours looks like a good, healthy ferment.

Thanks guys. I just took a hydrometer reading, and of course tasted. The og was 1.060 and i am at 1.010 now. The problem is that it tasted awful. Im not sure if its overly bitter, astringent, or my dog puked in it when i wasnt looking. But awful is definitely the nicest way to put it. I cant see it going much lower on the gravity end, but i guess im going to leave this one on the yeast for another few weeks and see what happens. Im hoping its not a dumper....i am not a good loser, and i def. Dont have the patience to leave it sit for monthd on end.

Back