Should I Worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
It's been about 14 sdays since I planted my Cascades and Mt. Hood rhizomes. The weather for the first 2 days sucked, got freezing temps with some freezing rain/snow flurries, but since then we've been averaging about 50s for a low and mid 60s as a high, and the past 3 days have all touched 75-80 with lows in the 60s. I've been watering the pots good, and I've skipped watering when we've had heavy rain, but I keep checking and see absolutely no signs of anything going on in the buckets.

Should I apply more fertilizer? I used a miracle grow moss fertilizer and a miracle grow soil, I believe, and mixed the two to form a uniform blend, then sprinkled the fertilizer moss on top of each whiskey barrel as a top layer.

I planted my centennial and chinook rhizomes a couple of weeks ago also, and I don't see any growth yet. I'm not panicking, though because the same thing happened several years ago when I planted my hallertauer and cascades.

I don't know this for a fact, but it seems to me that much of the growth the first year is growing roots and expanding under the ground. When they finally burst through the soil, they grow FAST! Sometimes they'll grow 6 inches or more in one day! So, I'm just waiting for them. If I remember correctly, the first rhizomes I planted took a long time for me to see the growth.

take it easy on the fertilizer till they start growing in late may and all June, you don't want to burn them up. they should be out to greet you any day now, and try not to over water them until they start climbing.

I'm in the same boat (day 15 here) and i'm starting to worry that I either watered too much, or not enough. I'm on the central coast of CA and most days have been between 65-70 high and 50 low so I figure thats good weather. So i've watered them every third day or so. Sound right?

You can see my setup at
http://backpatiobrew.wordpress.com

any advice is much appreciated.

I'm in the same boat (day 15 here) and i'm starting to worry that I either watered too much, or not enough. I'm on the central coast of CA and most days have been between 65-70 high and 50 low so I figure thats good weather. So i've watered them every third day or so. Sound right?

You can see my setup at
http://backpatiobrew.wordpress.com

any advice is much appreciated.

relax don't worry and have a homebrew...if you are really concerned you could carefully brush away some dirt to check, but they are spending time establishing roots and then they will come out to greet you.
:tank:

No more water and definitely no fertilizer. When the surface of the ground dries out, then water lightly.

Ground temperature is important. My 5-year old hops have barely sprouted, but the ground is at 45F.

Back