Should I worry? WL 545 Belgian Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhamsteelerfan

Reaction score
I know I am probably worrying for no reason, but I just made my first Belgian IPA the other day. I'm using White Labs 545 Belgian Strong Ale for my yeast. I did make a starter. I do not have a stir plate,so I use the shake method -- I just give the jar a good shake every time I walk by it. It's worked for me in the past. I made a kolsch recently and had an extremely aggressive fermentation - so much that I had to switch the airlock to a blowoff tube.

I brewed the beer Tuesday and started to get some good constant activity in the airlock. Same thing today. The fermentation temps have been kept in the 64-68 range. Should I be worried if I'm not getting a really aggressive fermentation like I did from my Kolsch? What should I expect from WLP 545? I really want to hit my final gravity with this one - worked hard on designing and brewing this beer.

BTW, the smell coming out of the air lock today was really nice!

Latest posts

Back