Should I take a hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGillette10

Reaction score
I brewed Yooper's DFH clone for my first batch ever (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/). We pitched a bursting Wyeast Northwest Ale smack pack. Could barely get it open it was so expanded. Aerated by running the wort through a strainer and into the bucket. There was a lot of foam before we pitched. We did all this on Sunday night (3.5 days ago). I haven't seen any bubbles in the air lock, though I have not been watching it like a hawk and I know sometimes air lock bubbles don't really mean anything. To me, it looks like there is sort of a foam line (krausen?) on the side of the fermenter, but I can't really tell if that's new or left over from when we pitched.

Should I take a hydrometer reading? Or just stick it out? Maybe a picture of the foam line would be helpful. I'll see if I can get one up. Let me know what you think.

If your fermenter is a plastic bucket, try reseating the lid.

No reading necessary. If you see krausen, it's working.

you can tell the difference between the foam at pitching and the foam of krausen. basically Karausen creates a 'dirty' foam - so if you any ring at all, it is from that. The foam at pitch is just cleaner - or perhaps less full of yeast?

I've found that I get a lot of ferment/airlock activity in about a 12 to 24 hour period and almost nothing before(12 to 24 horus) or after. I'd say go 2 weeks and test it then, especially if there is a nastly looking scum line.

Thanks everyone. I'll double check the seal and airlock. The ring is very scummy looking so I'm assuming we're in business. I'll proceed as normal and rack to the secondary after 10 days.

I had the same concerns with my first batch which I just brewed recently. After 24 hours I had lots of bubbles going on in the airlock. Be patient, that's what everyone told me, if it's good advice. Good luck!

I didn't find any leaks and everything seemed to be secure.

This is what the line looks like:

20120705_175200.jpg

Buckets are notoriously leaky - they seem seated well, but if there is a pinhole's worth of a gap, CO2 will exit there instead of the airlock.

Give it a week, then check the gravity.

The yeast know how to make beer - let them.

That ring looks like krausen to me. Foam from racking out of BK would have subsided rather quickly. I think you just have a slight leak in the lid seal, which is perfectly normal and acceptable for primary as the CO2 will keep positive pressure and wild yeast/bacteria don't crawl upwards.

Latest posts

Back