Should I stir yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to ask what I am sure is a dumb question. I made a yeast starter for the first time, and I am almost ready to add it to the wort. It's been sitting for 3 days. There is a bunch of sediment on the bottom which I assume is the actual yeast - it makes sense that I would want to stir it up before I add it to the wort to ensure I get all the yeast out of the jug. But I have also read that I should pour some of the liquid off the top first? I don't want to screw this up. This is my 6th batch, 2nd all grain. Just for some history. Mmmm.... oatmeal stout. I bow to you, my brethren...

Decant but leave just enough liquid to slosh around and mix with all the yeast on the bottom, then pour the slurry into your wort.

If you are unsure, you can toss the whole lot in. I usually do, as my starter bottle is too big for my fridge to crash the yeast, so normally it's not settled out.

Pour all the liquid off. All of it.

Why? Because you read it somewhere. I've never found it makes any difference, and never heard a good explanation as to why you should unless the wort used for the starter is drastically different from that of the main beer.

If your starter was sitting at fermentation temps or higher for the 3 days I would say there is probably a good amount of yeast in suspension and I would go ahead and pitch the whole thing. If in the future you are worried about how the starter wort will affect your beer in the end, I would crash cool the starter when finished, this will drop most of the yeast out of suspension and after a night or so you will notice a much clearer wort that pours off much easier.

This is usually what I do, I leave a little on top like suggested above and just let it come UP to pitching temps before pitching. Best of Both worlds IMO

Also, I would simply swirl it up. If you are stirring make sure your stirring implement is sanitary!

Why? Because you read it somewhere. I've never found it makes any difference, and never heard a good explanation as to why you should unless the wort used for the starter is drastically different from that of the main beer.

Yeah, I read it somewhere. Can't remember where though.

Seriously, my starters almost always smell terrible. The only one I remember that smelled decent enough to taste was a 3711 saison starter.

Why ferment a starter at 80F, then dump it into a pilsener which is fermenting at 50F.

Finally, don't come off as a jagoff here. "Why" is a good question, the "read it somewhere" comment is just you showing me what a jerk you are. You shouldn't do that.

The stronger the flavor of the beer you're making, the less it matters if you decant or not. An imperial stout's flavor will be far less affected by the starter wort than, say, a blonde ale or 60 shilling. I personally pour off all but what I need to make the yeast fluid.

I swirled it & dumped it all - still waiting for it to start up. Thanks for the advice.

Back