Should I still use this yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmidc

Reaction score
About a month ago I harvested some yeast from a batch of wyeast 1056 that made a very nice beer so I wanted to repitch it and I know there was no infection. I plan on brewing in a couple days so today I opened up the jar that I had stored the yeast in, with a little beer on top (old pickle jar that was cleaned and sanitized). The yeast still has good color and looks fine, but it seems there is a bit of a pickle smell in there that was not there when I put the yeast in. Should I...
a. get rid of it and buy new yeast.
b. taste the beer sitting on top and make a decision
c. make a starter with it, and smell that after a day then make a decision.
d. other

I usually have some packs of us-05 laying around for a situation like this but I'm out right now. What do you guys think?:confused: I could probably get to my LHBS on wed. so my only option would be the us-05 (no time to make starter).

I'm too cheap and lazy and would pitch it. Plus I think the pickle odor is coming from the lining of the lid and not the glass. Unless you had the jar sitting upside down the yeast wasn't making direct contact with the actual source. That and I have my grain stored in 5 gallon pickle buckets.

I'm too cheap and lazy and would pitch it. Plus I think the pickle odor is coming from the lining of the lid and not the glass. Unless you had the jar sitting upside down the yeast wasn't making direct contact with the actually source. That and I have my grain stored in 5 gallon pickle buckets.

I'm kind of leaning the same way. I know that the jar was cleaned and sanitized so there should be no worry of infection. People pitch yeast from IPAs (strong odor) into other types of beers with no ill effects. Plus this is going into an extremely hoppy beer so I don't think any smell is going to come through. I think I'll try making a starter and if there is no apparent odor and it seems kosher :D I'll go ahead and pitch it.

Latest posts

Back