Should I replace...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozart4898

Reaction score
Hey all...

I realize this is a rather difficult question to answer without really seeing my results, or knowing my area specifically. I planted 4 varieties (Cascade, Magnum, Mt. Hood, Willamette) in the spring of 2008. My support structure has been, should I say...lacking. Cheap metal arch trellis things that are about 7' high. Even in year 1 the Cascade easily reached the top and I've trained it back and forth across the top every year since. Magnum grows almost as well. I'd guesstimate that if I stretched the bines of both out, they'd reach at least 15' if not 20' every year.

Mt. Hood and Willamette aren't nearly as vigorous. As I understand it, this isn't unusual for Mt. Hood (although the last 2 years it's looked better, with nice thick bines and healthy foliage), but I read a good bit about Willamette being a fairly good producer. I've never gotten over a quarter of an ounce dried from it, if that. At least with Mt. Hood I've gotten an ounce to 2 ounces, but I'm not overly crazy about that either. I'm figuring a better support structure (higher, hopefully) will help, but from the start Willamette hasn't ever looked that healthy even - it's always been pretty spindly and thin looking whereas the other 3 will grow nice dark green and bushy looking bines.

I'm strongly considering replacing Willamette and possibly Mt. Hood as well. I'd love to have both options as homegrown hops as I like the occasional English ale, Belgian ale, and some lagers and those hops have uses there. However I'm a big hophead (IPA/IIPA lover) and wouldn't mind at all having homegrown Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, or Nugget depending on what might grow well.

Or will the support structure make that much difference?

Generally, after a few years in the ground, you'll be able to determine how well a certain variety will do. A better type of support would help to an extent, but what you see is pretty much what you'll get, even with a more appropriate trells. My experience up here in Mahoning county over the last 20+ years is that the true aroma varieties will produce a few ounces at best. The dual purpose hops will do fairly well and the alpha hops will do much better. Some of the more recently developed aroma varieties may do a little better because of the genetics, but I was discouraged early on and now just grow basically Cascade, Chinook, Brewer's Gold and a few others just to make cuttings from. Your soil/location may dictate differently but that's my take.

Generally, after a few years in the ground, you'll be able to determine how well a certain variety will do. A better type of support would help to an extent, but what you see is pretty much what you'll get, even with a more appropriate trells. My experience up here in Mahoning county over the last 20+ years is that the true aroma varieties will produce a few ounces at best. The dual purpose hops will do fairly well and the alpha hops will do much better. Some of the more recently developed aroma varieties may do a little better because of the genetics, but I was discouraged early on and now just grow basically Cascade, Chinook, Brewer's Gold and a few others just to make cuttings from. Your soil/location may dictate differently but that's my take.

Our soil here, to put it plainly, stinks. Heavy clay, drainage isn't great. However the location the hops are planted does not collect water when it rains and gets full sun nearly 100% of the day all season.

Your experience kinda seems similar to what I've seen personally. I've also read of a few growers in the general area (northern Ohio or southern Michigan) who have had great success with Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Magnum, and Nugget.

I'm hoping to get an idea from those who have seen similar situations which one or two options might be best - Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, and Nugget seem to be the choices. I love the first 3 as flavor hops, Nugget is probably best used for a bittering hop so unless it's just an amazing performer in my area, I think I'd be trying to decide between those 3.

Another option, since I know it grows so well and I love it...would be to just put in another Cascade as one of the replacements...

Another option, since I know it grows so well and I love it...would be to just put in another Cascade as one of the replacements...

. . . or another option would be to grow some good tomatoes? Campbell's just doesn't taste like it used to, haha!

In all honesty, you're better off trying a bunch of different varieties to see what does well. It's a long term project but if you like to grow stuff, it's worth the wait. Hop on!

. . . or another option would be to grow some good tomatoes? Campbell's just doesn't taste like it used to, haha!

Should have Brandywine, Black Krim, Pompeii paste tomatoes, several varieties of cherry tomatoes, as well as a bunch of peppers - bell, jalapeno, cayenne, poblano, New Mexico, habanero, and possibly ghost chiles. Love gardening and growing tomatoes and peppers. :)

Back