Should I replace a blow off tube with a new lid and airlock after a few days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
Fermentation has died down. I have some krausen and beer that was pushed through the blow off tube. Now that I'm not getting much activity would it be best to replace the current lid with the blow off tube to a new one with an airlock? The current lid with the tube has the black rubber piece cut out so the tube would fit through it. Thanks

I don't replace the lid or the tube. Though I will replace the catch vessel and sanitizer. I would only remove the lid if the tube does not fit tight in the hole.

BTW, you can roll those grommets out of the hole without cutting them, then they can be put back in place when using an airlock.

You can if you want, but don't have to. They both do the same thing, let gas out, and keep stuff from going back in.

I prefer to move to a simple airlock after the main Krausen overflow is done. My reason is the Dandy 4.4 fermentation fridge is tight on space and with the simple airlock I can take the Cartboy out, shake it a bit, take some samples etc...

Just to give a sense of perspective...I ferment in 5gal plastic buckets, and just leave one side of the lid not completely sealed down which lets gas escape while making it difficult for dust etc to get in. Have never had an infection yet, so I suspect it's neither here nor there whether you replace with an airlock or not.

I switch over because my hose doesn't fit as tight in the carboy as the rubber stopper.

That's what she said!

As said before, you can but you don't have to. Do whatever you think is right cause you are the brewmaster. When someone asks why you did that. You did it cause whatever you picked worked

You can run the whole fermentation process using blow-offs, just don't forget to switch to an S-lock before cold-crashing...

Cheers!

You're not compelled to replace the blow-off tube for any reason other than convenience, esp. if c-c'ing. Any chance of contamination or infection due to a loose-fitting tube or changing it over to an airlock was greater closer to the beginning of ferm than at this point now that some alcohol has formed and there's a decent blanket of CO2 on the beer. Main concern at this point would be oxidation due to stirring/jostling the fermenter. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

Back