Should I purchase this Water analysis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxp073

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I am considering to delve into water chemistry to take my beer to the next level. To do it right, I am considering to pay for a private water analysis. I found one that will provide the following information:

pH
Nitrate
Calcium
Magnesium
Chloride
Sulphate
Alkalinity as CaCO3
Total Hardness as CaCO3

Is this information all that I require to get started? I note that they don't provide the 'bicarbonate' level, but can this be determined using the information provided? If so, what calculation do I use?

Second, which salts and acids will I need to purchased to perform the most common corrections?

I apologise in advance if these questions have been asked before. Your help is much appreciated.

Edit: I have read the bicarbonate sticky and am still slightly confused. What I want to know is whether the numbers above give me the information required to populate BruNwater, and to do so correctly.

Happy brewing!

Most everyone will tell you www.wardlab.com

They have a section for home brewers. I had my water tested through ward, got the details, plugged it right into beersmith!

The salts and acids you add depend on what style of beer you are brewing at the time. With a good brewing software, your mineral additions should level you right into the appropriate range.

Good luck!

Most everyone will tell you www.wardlab.com

They have a section for home brewers. I had my water tested through ward, got the details, plugged it right into beersmith!

The salts and acids you add depend on what style of beer you are brewing at the time. With a good brewing software, your mineral additions should level you right into the appropriate range.

Good luck!

Problem being, I'm in the UK!

Well, it's as simple as pouring water into a bottle and shipping it over seas. They'll accept it and send results via email. I guess the question is are you willing to pay postage.

I'm sure there is a water analysis lab near you. Someone might know on here...

The water analysis lab here only provides the details I listed above. I'm willing to pay postage, but only if the details I can get locally are insufficient.. Hopefully someone from the UK chimes in! Cheers

Bicarbonate can be inferred from the alkalinity value, so you are covered there. The one ion that might be a concern is sodium and that isn't tested in the suite you present. For most waters, its probably not a big deal. In fact, you might be able to estimate the sodium content by reviewing the ionic balance from the report and assuming that the sodium level is the component that is missing.

I'm in the UK and found that my water company didn't provide enough information so I emailed them and they send a water report annually.
The main point with tap water to consider though is does it always come from the same source and is it consistent.
Your water report will show a range for each measured item and if this is too great then the report is only of any value at that time.
My process was to look at my report to ensure I had an idea of what it contained and measure the alkalinity each time using a £10 aquarium test kit from Salifert (Amazon.co.uk).

If you do feel it is worthwhile I believe Murphy's have a testing service.
They will recommend their own products which are AMS/CRS for alkalinity reduction and DLS/DWB to increase minerals.
Whilst these do work in some cases, unless you know what you are doing, you have no control over what they do for example, AMS/CRS is a blend of sulphuric and hydrochloric acids so whilst it will reduce alkalinity it will also increase you sulphate and chloride levels. If these are already high you can create more problems or change the style of beer you are making for the worse.

Martin who posted above is the creator of the BruNWater spreadsheet which is well worth the small outlay if just to get CRS as an option in the list of available acids. I can highly recommend it.

If you are on Jim's forum Wallybrew will help you out.

The point made about consistency of tap water is a good one.

My tap water tastes fine, but the mineral/metal content is all over the map from month to month, and especially from season to season. My beers have been good to very good, but I don't like the inconsistency. That's why I've decided to switch to buying RO and/or DI water with added salts to brew with. My first RO batch is still fermenting, but I'm hoping that he switch will make a noticeable difference.

Thanks everyone - I've committed to getting my water tested and using Martin's spreadsheet. It's a little daunting, but I think once I have the numbers in front of me it will start to come together. I'll report back when I get my water tested!

I'm in the UK and found that my water company didn't provide enough information so I emailed them and they send a water report annually.
The main point with tap water to consider though is does it always come from the same source and is it consistent.
Your water report will show a range for each measured item and if this is too great then the report is only of any value at that time.
My process was to look at my report to ensure I had an idea of what it contained and measure the alkalinity each time using a £10 aquarium test kit from Salifert (Amazon.co.uk).

If you do feel it is worthwhile I believe Murphy's have a testing service.
They will recommend their own products which are AMS/CRS for alkalinity reduction and DLS/DWB to increase minerals.
Whilst these do work in some cases, unless you know what you are doing, you have no control over what they do for example, AMS/CRS is a blend of sulphuric and hydrochloric acids so whilst it will reduce alkalinity it will also increase you sulphate and chloride levels. If these are already high you can create more problems or change the style of beer you are making for the worse.

Martin who posted above is the creator of the BruNWater spreadsheet which is well worth the small outlay if just to get CRS as an option in the list of available acids. I can highly recommend it.

If you are on Jim's forum Wallybrew will help you out.

Kind of a catch 22 isn't it? My water report from the water authority shows a range for each value - how much is too much?

If, on the other hand, I use an alkalinity testing kit, then I won't know the other values that I require (except for a range given on the local area's water report). If the water alkalinity does change from time to time, then surely the other variables do as well.

I'm in Leeds if this makes any difference.

I guess my question, therefore, is how do you tell whether your water changes - aside from trying every single brew?

Thanks everyone - I've committed to getting my water tested and using Martin's spreadsheet. It's a little daunting, but I think once I have the numbers in front of me it will start to come together. I'll report back when I get my water tested!
like most things, once you start playing with it things will start to make sense.

Back