Should I pitch this yeast? Stir plate explosion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I planned on brewing tonight, but when I got home I heard the stirplate acting a little unbalanced. I went over and saw that it actually started fermenting out of the flask, even so much as popping the foam stopper out of the neck (not completely, but it was askew)

I have no idea how long it was like that, but some of the liquid down the side of the flask and on the stir plate was beginning to harden.

Would this still be okay to pitch? I figured there would still be positive pressure coming out of the flask to keep anything out but I never had this happen when using a stir plate.

In terms of liquid volume, I'd estimate I lost maybe 50-100ml max.

I would pitch it. I have had starters blow the foil cover off of my flask before and used with no issues. If it has enough pressure to blow out the foam stopper, I would wager positive pressure is going to keep the nasties out.

I'm not sure what your concern is. Like you mentioned if stuff was going out, then nothing is likely to get in. Not everyone uses a stir plate, so the lack of motion isn't really a concern either. Your biggest issue, is just how much yeast you actually have. Unfortunately this is kind of a guessing game at all times. So, at most I would guess your 1L starter (you didn't say) is now a 900mL starter, and if that's enough yeast based off your calculator I would go for it.

I'd pitch it, but I'm a relative noob... The way I see it those little guys are ready to go.

Yeah it was a 2L starter and I guess I was paranoid it somehow would've got infected. Just needed to talk it out!

Back