Should I pitch more yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippingainteasy

Reaction score
I split a pack of s04 between 2 buckets after putting 1 in the wrong batch. Both buckets have been bubbling for 2 days I'm debating on pitching another pack between the 2 to be safe or just let it go. It's a octoberfast with 1.054 OG.

Lots of times you can get away with underpitching, but I'd add some more if it was me. You didn't mention rehydrating - if you didn't, that's even more reason to add more. JMO.

I don't understand what you have going on. You said you put something wrong in one batch?

One pack of s04 for 2 five gallon buckets of 1.054 wort? If so, that was underpitching. It should have been one pack in each.

If you put a pack of the wrong yeast in one and then another half pack, most likely the first will be what has the most influence on fermenting that beer.

But after 2 days the yeast have already reproduced and, if stressed, have already produced any off flavors you might get. There is no need to add more yeast at this point as long as they are fermenting.

There are two schools of thought on this:

1. Pitch more yeast right away
  2. Ride it out and check gravity in (insert your normal fermentation length here) to determine if you need to pitch more yeast.
Me? I'm cheap, so I would ride it out. And to echo what NCBrewer said, a lot of times you can get away with underpitching.

So it seems that you put yeast in a finished beer then put one pack in 2 buckets 5 gallons each. Right?

Since one pack is enough to ferment almost any beer, 2 at 1.054 with a half pack of s04 should not be a huge problem. As I said already the yeast have most likely reproduced to cell counts sufficient to ferment the beers. IMO, pitching any more yeast at this point would be a waste of good yeast. If you have it already, save it for the next batch.

So it seems that you put yeast in a finished beer then put one pack in 2 buckets 5 gallons each. Right?

Since one pack is enough to ferment almost any beer, 2 at 1.054 with a half pack of s04 should not be a huge problem. As I said already the yeast have most likely reproduced to cell counts sufficient to ferment the beers. IMO, pitching any more yeast at this point would be a waste of good yeast. If you have it already, save it for the next batch.

I don't have expertise in this but have read lots of threads here about stalled fermentations. Many times the suggestions are to pitch more yeast. It seems like it would be a good idea to pitch the yeast while the beer is still fermenting - maybe results would be better than waiting for a stalled fermentation. Does this make sense?

My thoughts are that if the beer is already fermenting then there are already several hundred billion active yeast cells swimming around in there. Adding another 100b is unlikely to make much difference. Since any damage from underpitching is probably already done, i would ride this out and save the yeast.

If it's finished fermenting at a high FG, then different story. But even then I would prefer to pitch active yeast (from a starter or another batch) into a stalled fermentation rather than pitching dry yeast from the pack - so they don't hurt themselves on the alcohol already in the batch.

I don't have expertise in this but have read lots of threads here about stalled fermentations. Many times the suggestions are to pitch more yeast. It seems like it would be a good idea to pitch the yeast while the beer is still fermenting - maybe results would be better than waiting for a stalled fermentation. Does this make sense?

There is really no reason to expect it to stall. I would save the yeast. If it had a really long lag time I might think differently.

Yes I pitched one pack into a different batch. Both buckets were still actively fermenting this morning when I got home. I pitched the yeast dry also. I plan on checking the gravity tomorrow and then making a decision. Since the recipe called for a little higher FG I thought it may be ok also. My beers always finish around 1.000 or a little lower.

Yes I pitched one pack into a different batch. Both buckets were still actively fermenting this morning when I got home. I pitched the yeast dry also. I plan on checking the gravity tomorrow and then making a decision. Since the recipe called for a little higher FG I thought it may be ok also. My beers always finish around 1.000 or a little lower.

Is that a typo? 1.000 is distilled water with nothing in it. I would expect at least 1.008

Back