Should I pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60sd

Reaction score
I should start by saying I havent taken a gravity reading yet, so this question may be a little premature:

I brewed an IPA last weekend (sat), that came out to 1.064. I pitched one pack of US-05 that I rehydrated, but didnt make a starter. I chose that yeast because I've had really good results in the past, generally finishing below 1.010 on mid and high gravity brews. Afterward, I checked my previous notes and saw that my best results have been when using two packs. Now I'm concerned that my final gravity may be too high. If that happens, is it OK to pitch another pack now and give it a few more days before I transfer to the secondary?

There should be no reason that you would need to repitch. For that gravity you might optimally need about 1.25 packs. Take a gravity reading after about 2 weeks, then decide if you have a problem.

Back