Should I make ed's apfelwein or Brandon's graff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhusker18

Reaction score
Going on short work trip this week and hope to make something this weekend. I'm new to cider. Just set a batch of mead for long storage. I have maxed out beer capped bottles with beer. But have a few cases of swing tops to use.

Thoughts on what I should try. I'm all grain now. Maybe a point to other good recipes I have missed in a few hrs of searching. Saw a top 10 list.....

Ed's might take some time to condition before 2017 Halloween.

Depends on your taste. Ed's apfelwein is pretty dry. More of the malic acidy-tart almost sour taste of an apple. You can do all sorts of things to it of course. Spice it/add more fruit. Backsweeten or naturally carb then mix with soda or make grog. It has it's benefits either way.

I've yet to have graff, but it sounds better since it has more body and its malted so that tart apple taste will be less prominent especially with the hops if you add it.

If you're going for drink-ability by Halloween, I think the graff is the way to go, granted you like it of course.

I prefer Graf. Apfelwein tastes rather "hoochy" to me, until it's about 6 months old. Graf is ready to drink as soon as it carbs up, typically about 5 weeks from bottling. Graf is a little more involved, but still pretty easy. It's up to you, you're the one who'll be drinking it.
Regards, GF.

Graf is my vote. But Brandon is not kidding when he says 'watch the hops!'

Denard Brewing has a very lovely 'Belgian Space Craff.' Which is a cider/ mead/ graff hybrid. I have made it and it is very tasty - but I've had to let mine sit for month or so for the hops to mellow. Next time I am going to use a darker DME and about 1/2 the hops, or put them in a bag so I can remove them! Also don;t worry about not having palmetto honey - any 'better' honey will work, just dont use the $0.99 generic stuff.

...I might make both, let ed's sit and condition while I enjoy the graff asap.

I think that's a great idea. I did one batch of Graff and it turned out REALLY good. If you're already into beer making its probably easier, but still more work than Apfe. i have done several batches of Apfe and it takes zero work to get started. Leave it for the prescribed 4-6 months and its a solid drink. I will say that my Graff took a month to carb though. so best get 'er goin right away

Latest posts

Back