Should I lower my ferment temperture, 1 week later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkyP

Reaction score
Just about a week done fermenting coopers traditional lager kit. Fermented at bout 22c and is now at about 20c since fermentation has slowed down. Was thinking of lowering the temperture to around 18c I know it was a bit high at 22c but the coopers yeast is a blend of ale and lager yeast. If I lower temperture now will this help removing some of the the fruity tastes, don't have the set up to lager properly so basically I'm wondering is it a good idea to lower the temp or what's the best way to make this beer as clean tasting as possible. Cheers guys

How would I do one with this particular kit and yeast, it's already fermenting at 20c, only new to homebrewing so would I have to make the temperture higher than 20c to perform a rest. I plan on leaving this in primary for 1 month so have another 3 weeks left, what would be the best thing I could do and when

You will not get rid of the ester profile by lowering the temperature. Ale ester profiles are created mostly in the first 2 days of fermentation, but as long as 5 days in some cases. You should maintain your fermentation temperature of 20-22 to let the yeast finish the ferment and clean up by products. If you lower the temp it may cause the yeast to go dormant. If you want a clean lager you really need to be fermenting at much lower temperatures (10-13C) or be using a unique strain like a kolsch yeast if you cannot get your temperatures that low.

If I understand the OP he's brewing a lager kit. If it's almost reached the end of initial primary he shod raise his temp gradually to the mid 60's F for s few days to allow for a diacetyl rest then lower his temp back down to the mid 30'sF for lagering.

If I understand the OP he's brewing a lager kit. If it's almost reached the end of initial primary he shod raise his temp gradually to the mid 60's F for s few days to allow for a diacetyl rest then lower his temp back down to the mid 30'sF for lagering.

I doubt this kit is a true lager. I think it is a lager like kit fermented with ale yeast. Or a hybrid to be fermented with a lager yeast but at ale temperatures.

So, no it isn't necessary to lower the temperature, but it probably wouldn't hurt. Like cold crashing to make the beer more clear.

He fermented at 22C (71.6F) and it's now sitting at 20C (68F).

As spenghali said, you should keep the temp where it is. The yeast is almost certainly done going through all of the sugars and now it needs to try and clean up any off flavors that were produced. Warmer temperatures will help the yeast do that. Dropping the temp might cause them to go dormant and not finish up their job.

Hey guys thanks for the advice, I think I will leave it at 20c, just to make sure the yeast cleans up as much as it can, the yeast is a mix of lager and ale and it comes with the coopers kit.
I will be kegging this batch so first time kegging, should I leave it at room temperture for a week or so when kegged to mature or shud I put it right in the fridge

Back