Should I let my beers completely ferment out before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredBrew

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got two lagers that I re-racked today. The first is a classic Pilsner that started with an OG of 1.054 about 7.2% Potential Alc. Upon re-racking (after 10 days) into the secondary, the SG is 1.023 with about a 3% Pot. Alc.

The other is a darker lager with an OG of 1.040 about 5.5% Pot. Alch.
Upon re-racking into secondary the SG was 1.013, about 2% Pot. Alch.

I'm debating whether I should let these beers completely ferment out in secondary and then prime upon bottling or bottle before they ferment out completely thereby utilizing un-fermented sugars already in solution.

Is there a known Potential Alcohol level/ SG reading that when a beer reaches such one is not risking blowing up the bottles with too much pressure? For example, can I bottle a beer that has a 2% potential alcohol reading, a 1% reading? etc. etc. knowing what sort of carbonation I will create?

ALSO

one of the carboys is only filled to about an inch below it's shoulder. Am I risking oxidation under such conditions? If so should I top this off with water?

Hello,

I've got two lagers that I re-racked today. The first is a classic Pilsner that started with an OG of 1.054 about 7.2% Potential Alc. Upon re-racking (after 10 days) into the secondary, the SG is 1.023 with about a 3% Pot. Alc.

I'm debating whether I should let these beers completely ferment out in secondary and then prime upon bottling or bottle before they ferment out completely thereby utilizing un-fermented sugars already in solution.

Is there a known Potential Alcohol level/ SG reading that when a beer reaches such one is not risking blowing up the bottles with too much pressure? For example, can I bottle a beer that has a 2% potential alcohol reading, a 1% reading? etc. etc. knowing what sort of carbonation I will create?

ALSO

one of the carboys is only filled to about an inch below it's shoulder. Am I risking oxidation under such conditions? If so should I top this off with water?

Hello,

ALSO

The potential alcohol reading is just saying that at the specifig gravity start, you have the possiblity of fermenting all the way and achieving that ABV. The number you want to pay attention to the is actual gravity reading. I'd say it's safe to bottle the 1013 one, but I'd give teh 1023 more time. What is the projected FG of each recipe?

I wouldn't have racked them until they were done fermenting. You need to do something to get them fermenting again, but might have removed too much yeast when you racked them.

I also would not bottle them until they are done.

Don't worry about the oxidation.

You need to let them finish. If you are really lagering, this should not be a problem as you wouldn't be bottling for months.
If you have already lagered and that is your FG, they are finished.
If you bottle with active fermentation, you will rish bottle bombs.
the only way to know if to take several gravity reading several days in a row. No matter what your gravity reading is, it's the amount that it changes that matters most.

Here's my answer in the other identical thread in the other part of the forum, someone needs to merge these:

I wouldn't have racked them until they were done fermenting. You need to do something to get them fermenting again, but might have removed too much yeast when you racked them.

To avoid risking blowing up bottles, wait til you reach final gravity. And the best way to tell is with 2 consequtive gravity readings over 3 days. Or you can do what a lot of us do and walk away from your beers for a month. That will give them plenty of time to ferment and to let the yeast clean up after itself. And you won't have to worry about bottle bombs.

Actually he started THREE threads asking the same thing.

Dam, I didn't realize how fast and engaged these forums are. I'm sorry for posting the same comment in more than one forum. Will not do that again. Thanks for the responses ya'll.

Shooter,

I was just working off a recipe that said to let it ferment for a week and then transition it to Secondary. Would you not recommend this in the future? I would have gladly left the brews a bubbling without bothering with secondary. When would you utilize secondary fermentation?

Pay no attention to the potential alcohol scale on your hydrometer if you're making beer. That is there for wine makers who let it ferment out to 1.000 or lower. You shouldn't ever have beer that ferments that dry.

Shooter,

I was just working off a recipe that said to let it ferment for a week and then transition it to Secondary. Would you not recommend this in the future? I would have gladly left the brews a bubbling without bothering with secondary. When would you utilize secondary fermentation?

I would leave them in primary until they are done fermenting. You'll know when the hydrometer tells you they're done. If it was an ale, I'd probably let it sit two more weeks beyond that to let the yeast clean up a little. If it was a lager I would transfer to secondary for the lagering phase of the process. I've also use a secondary to dry hop. People also sometimes use them to add fruit. These days, I’m hearing more and more that people are often dry hopping right in the primary, but I’ve never done it that way.

Latest posts

Back