Should I dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OriolesMagic

Reaction score
So yesterday was brew day and everything went well, or so I thought. This afternoon when I got home from work I saw that the krausen had pushed the stopper and blow out tube off. I am not sure how long the beer was exposed. Less than a day but much longer than an hour I would assume. I quickly cleaned and reapplied stopper, but want to know if I should dump?

That is mild, I have had a IIPA blow the entire lid off and goo yeast all over. There are tons of others on here that have had the similar experiences. Odds are by now the yeast have dropped the pH low enough that contamination risk is minimal, and I'm sure they were happy to mop up any oxygen that got in.

I never dump, I drink my mistakes to punish myself as a sacrifice to the beer gods, in the hopes that they grant favor to my next brew.

I had that happen today with a graff. Blew gunk all over the walls and ceiling. Wasn't pretty..... Like everyone else said, it should be just fine.

Always a good idea to wait until finished to dump. I've had a few batches where I thought something huge went wrong but ended up being phenomenal.

Yep, it'll be fine. I pitched a 1.055 wort on a cake and it blew the lid off after 12 hours. Left the lid off for 4 days in my fridge it was one of my best beers.

So yesterday was brew day and everything went well, or so I thought. This afternoon when I got home from work I saw that the krausen had pushed the stopper and blow out tube off. I am not sure how long the beer was exposed. Less than a day but much longer than an hour I would assume. I quickly cleaned and reapplied stopper, but want to know if I should dump?

Are your totally certain that your beer is infected and completely ruined? Have you tasted it and found it to be putrid? If not, don't dump and certainly do not dump at this point. During the active part of the ferment it is pretty hard to infect your beer since so much CO2 is being produced and the bacteria can't swim fast enough to get into your fermenter.

D: All of the Above

CO2 and the krausen are both pushing anything nasty out, plus the pH inhibits nastiness growth, so you're good

and then there's this:
I never dump, I drink my mistakes to punish myself as a sacrifice to the beer gods, in the hopes that they grant favor to my next brew.

I'm still punishing myself for a barleywine with a horrendous flavor one brew club buddy described as "super-elastic bubble plastic" and I brewed that over a year ago

Breweries ferment in open containers all the time, it's no big deal in the first few days of active fermentation.

If this happened days after the krausen had dropped you might have a problem, but in this case you should be a-ok

Latest posts

Back