Should I bottle this now or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftG40

Reaction score
New to the forum so Hello everyone.

Just after some advice,
I've got an apple & elderflower cider in primary (13 days in) I've kept it at 20-21 degrees celsius (68-70F) & I haven't used any nutrient as it was a kit & it's had the rhino farts for about a week. It isn't as bad as it was but the SG has settled at 0.998 for 2 days (Started at 1.040). I gave it a very gentle stir tonight as I believe that can help dissipate the sulphur?
I'm not sure whether to rack it for a few days to a clean vessel then see how it is & bottle it? or is there anything I can add to it before bottling? It doesn't taste like it smells, it's quite tart almost slightly wine like.
I'm just a bit concerned that I'll open a load of off cider in a couple of months
:(

Any ideas?

Cheers

Happened to me on my last batch of fresh pressed cider. I splash racked and left for two weeks then bottled. Left in bottles for at least another two. Sulfur gone and very tasty.

Racking from one carboy to another, but splashing the cider/wine/beer into the receiving container. This should help dissipate the gases currently in solution, but could lead to oxidizing if too aggressive.

Thanks for the help, it's in a 5gal fermenting bucket right now (same as a brew my beer in) is it ok to rack in to another bucket or best to go in to a carboy?

I'm going to rack it today for sure!

Thanks for the help, it's in a 5gal fermenting bucket right now (same as a brew my beer in) is it ok to rack in to another bucket or best to go in to a carboy?

You don't want headspace so make sure the bucket isn't too big for the volume of your cider.

Not a bucket- it's got a wide headspace. It can go into a carboy up to within an inch below the bung, or in a demijohn of the appropriate size.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422116033.939911.jpg

Cheers guys, just got home from the brew shop with a nice new carboy which should be pretty much full. Just sanitising everything before the transfer. I also got some acesulphame k sweetener as I've brewed it very dry so going to try a small amount of that too.
I'll let you know how it goes but you live & learn I suppose 👍

Thanks again!

Back