Should i bottle or not ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieGalea

Reaction score
Hi,

I have made a hefe using dme. OG was 1054 and FG 1012 for the past 3 days. Airlock stopped bubbling too and has been gradually decrease bubbling for the past 14 days, as expected.

The beer tastes good like hopped and clean no off flavors and all. As for how it tastes i am very confident of bottling it but should i be concerned that FG did not go as low as 1010 or 1008 ?

Should i bottle or wait ? 🤔

Did you use software? If so, what FG did it predict?

You got 77% attenuation. If that's in the target zone for your yeast, I'd say you can safely bottle.

Did you use software? If so, what FG did it predict?

You got 77% attenuation. If that's in the target zone for your yeast, I'd say you can safely bottle.

No did not use software. So dont really have a specific target....

Chances are it's done, but much depends on how fermentation progressed.
Not reaching predicted or recipe's FG is very common when using extracts. Especially the case with LME, but also with DME, depending on how condensed (partial boils with top up in fermenter), how long, and how vigorous the boil was due to caramelization. Yeast health can also play a factor.

What temp did you ferment at? For how long?
Have you raised the temps when things started to slow down?
What has the temp been the past 3-5 days?

Chances are it's done, but much depends on how fermentation progressed.
Not reaching predicted or recipe's FG is very common when using extracts. Especially the case with LME, but also with DME, depending on how condensed (partial boils with top up in fermenter), how long, and how vigorous the boil was due to caramelization. Yeast health can also play a factor.

What temp did you ferment at? For how long?
Have you raised the temps when things started to slow down?
What has the temp been the past 3-5 days?

A stable 65F for 14 days. Did not raise temp at any moment and things started slowing down the past 5-6 days. The past 2 days it kind of completely stopped bubbling. Im using dry yeast k-97

I frequently come in a bit high, it's notable to me but not outrageous when it occurs. Looking at my record book, I had one Krystalweizen hefe come in at 1.012-14 (must have been hard to read my hydrometer at the time). I follow the rule that identical readings 3-4 days apart(for ales) means it's done. 2 weeks at a proper temp should be enough time, but try to take gravity readings to be sure.

Back