Should I Bottle Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbys4evr

Reaction score
It has been 2 weeks to the day, caramel witbier. I took a gravity on Sunday and it was 1.02, tonight's gravity was 1.018, leading me to think maybe I misread the other gravity. The airlock bubbles but not much at all. Going on a business trip tomorrow and I don't want any bottle bombs.

I'm with jpeebs. I'd leave it alone until you know it's done for sure. No harm in waiting.

If you feel like you need to ask that question the the answer is probably no. If it has only been in the fermentor for 2 weeks then letting it sit until you get back won't hurt anything. Once you get back take another reading and if it is the same then go ahead and bottle.

1.02 is high for finishing gravity, what was the projected? to change .02 to .018 is a decent drop. I would leave it a week or so more.

What was the starting gravity?

You did not misread, it is still fermenting.
Wait until it reads the same 2 days in a row.
Two weeks is usually a minimum amount of time, more is required often.

The airlock is not always a good indicator of fermentation activity.
Give it another week if you can wait. It will be fine while you are gone.

Thanks for your opinion guys. The OG was 1.06 which was right in the middle of the recipes range. The gravity I took Sunday gave it a 5.25 abb and the recipe says expected is 5.75 minimum. I will wait until I get back as you recommended. Tastes mighty good btw :)

Latest posts

Back