Should I Bother Adding The Invert Sugar I Forgot To Add (Read More)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupa

Reaction score
Brewed a saison yesterday and I ran out of sparge water so the boil was about a gallon short. I forgot to add my invert sugar but the OG came out the same as it would have had I added it (because of the smaller boil volume).

So now I'm questioning whether or not I should even add it once high krausen is ending. What do you think? Also, how can I re-calculate my OG once I add it?

OG 1.72
Boil Vol.: 14 gal
Batch Vol: 10 gal
84% pale
8% flaked wheat
3% flaked oat

I wouldn't add the sugar. I'm not a huge fan of high-gravity saisons, and 3711 will dry out your beer plenty. (Expect to finish below 1.008.)

In a way you're right. My OG is spot on for this recipe and I don't need to add the sugar; however, I'm wondering how the lack of the sugar will affect the overall flavor.

Flavor-wise invert sugar will be processed by yeast just as any non heavily cooked/caramelized sugar is, producing very little 'other' character you wouldn't get from the yeast eating maltose. You should be fine so long as you didn't mash at an oddly high temp.

I'd let it go unless I wanted to add top up water and add the sugar, maintaining the target 1.072.

Back