should i be nervous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpinette2

Reaction score
brewed yesterday, ipa. pitched at 10pm. Still no activity, and i’m nervous...why?
-Mash, i had been having issues keeping my mash temp for the hr, so I would use 178 strike water and it would settle me at 152-153. I used a gallon of boiling water to heat mash tun this time, let it sit for 5 minutes, when i mashed in, it settled at 162, i kept stirring and finally got it to 153, but this took 15mins!

Not sure other reasons it wouldn’t be fermenting. I’m using harvested yeast from alchemist. I made extra large starter with the first batch I made using that yeast and it came out fine. This is the second batch, made a starter and it’s actually the most yeast I’ve ever pitched(just by looking at it, i can see it’s more than usual).

But no bubbles in blow out and zero signs of a krausen. I have a ss conical.

Let yeast sit out at room temperature for an hr at least before pitching(was in fridge for 24hra so i could decant the beer)

Thoughts?

FYI-OG was 1.062 which was slightly above predicted 1.061 in beersmith

seems unlikely that you produced a mash with no fermentable sugar so I don't think you need to worry about the mash if you came close to the expected gravity.

24hr is normally long enough for yeast to get going even if under pitched or not enough initial O2. Seems like slow yeast or a leak somewhere.

Not sure how I did it but I did not get a seal on my SSbrewtech bucket once, had to unlatch things and reseat the lid.

I would double check connection and maybe peek inside to see how things look.

It's still too early to be worried. Yeast could still be multiplying or adjusting to their new environment. Keep an eye on it for the next day or so, but grab a pack of dry yeast as a back up when you can. I'd repitch after 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for info...

FYI-when i checked to see if krausen was forming, i unpatched the top, and put it back on...not sure if that did the trick, but it’s currently bubbling away....

When i looked inside, it had no signs of fermentation though!

Almost sounds like you had a small leak. Probably just had a longer lag time. Either way glad to hear its on its way.

Let yeast sit out at room temperature for an hr at least before pitching(was in fridge for 24hra so i could decant the beer)

Sounds like you're off and running now. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Sometimes cooling yeast to fridge temps before pitching can increase the lag time. Maybe that's what happened here.

After 3+ years of brewing I still get nervous if I don't see action after 12 hours. RDWHAHB. Or something else if you don't have any yet. It's been my experience that waiting for beer to start showing fermentation is like the proverbial watched pot; it won't start if you're staring at it. As soon as you turn your back your airlock is stuck in the ceiling and krausen is everywhere. Or maybe that's just me.

After 3+ years of brewing I still get nervous if I don't see action after 12 hours. RDWHAHB. Or something else if you don't have any yet. It's been my experience that waiting for beer to start showing fermentation is like the proverbial watched pot; it won't start if you're staring at it. As soon as you turn your back your airlock is stuck in the ceiling and krausen is everywhere. Or maybe that's just me.

I obviously have alot to learn still about pitching yeast. I could only wish for such a vigorous fermentation.

After 25 years I am the same way. I brewed a batch on Sunday. I saw some signs of bubbles on Monday morning, a solid krausen after work on Monday and right now it is in full yeast churn mode.

I am not sure I could give up my glass fermenters...I love the clarity and how it makes me feel in tune with the process. I have a couple small stainless fermenters and it feels so sterile.

20190204_184948.jpg

I obviously have alot to learn still about pitching yeast. I could only wish for such a vigorous fermentation.

Only once. After patching the hole left in the ceiling where the airlock got stuck and washing the walls, ceiling, and floor all around where the fermenter sat you'll learn that controlled fermentations are much better. I use a fermenter that is much larger than my batch size and control the fermetation temperature to avoid that cleanup.

Latest posts

Back