Should I be able to see bubbles while carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmxncbv

Reaction score
I bottled my first brew 24 hours ago and used carbonation drops that came with my kit to carbonate.

I can see rising bubbles in the bottles and a small ammount of bubbles at the top of the beer.

I have read that rising bubbles in a sealed bottle indicates an air leak, is this correct or is everything I am witnessing completely normal?

Thanks guys.

It depends, did you use starsan to sanitize your bottles? I find I naturally get a few bubbles for the first few days if I don’t let my bottles completely drain/dry.

Do you actually see bubbles rising like you would once you pour a beer? Glass bottles of twist caps?

Can you snap a pic of what your seeing? Usually you don’t see a ton of carbonation in the first 24 hours so that’s why I think you’re ok and something else might be going on.

I would also suggest for your next batch you batch prime you beer. Much more control/consistency (and cheaper) but given it was a kit, you should be fine.

Back