Should I add some Bravo to the dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The home brew group I'm part of did a common mash at the brewery we meet at each month. We drew numbers of who would get the runnings off the mash was we started to sparge and brew whatever we would like. I picked the 3rd spot and decided to go with an IPA. The attached images show what the recipe would be dialed down if I was to make it again and the hop additions for the boil is what I decided to do. I'm thinking of dry hopping later this week with and ounce of each hop variety Citra, Amarillo and Falconers Flight. I've read some old posts and other sites where some have used Bravo in a SMaSH or late addition to the boil and even dry hopping with it. But it seems like there are mixed results. I know it's all preference but what are all of your thoughts? Go for it? Don't bother? Will it be worth it with all the other aroma hops? Would it conflict with the other dry hops?

So any input, thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479268760.664302.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479268777.986433.jpg

I bought a pound of Bravo form Hops Direct a few years ago. I only used it for bittering and I think it is nice in an IPA. Came out "earthy". But they do have mixed reviews with a preference for bittering over aroma usage. Hops Direct does not seem to grow this strain anymore.

Have used it a bit, doesn't hurt for late addition or dry hops but comes across as very generic and mild for anything besides bittering. Nothing WRONG with it per se but doesn't really do much unless you boil it.

It certainly won't hurt. It comes across as floral and citrus in my experience, but the aroma is fairly mild. You might find it will complement other hops better than standing on its own.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I wasn't sure if it was a waste to add an ounce of Bravo to the dry hops or not. I thought it would be kind of neat to add an ounce of each of the hops that were used during the boil for dry hopping.

To date I've only used Bravo for my bittering additions and have been happy. Seems like from the consensus here, why not give it a shot. ;) Thanks again!

I picked up a pound of Bravo recently not realizing it is just a bittering hop. The Hopslist description makes it sound fantastic, but now I'm wondering if I should've gone with another variety.

http://www.hopslist.com/hops/bittering-hops/bravo/

"Bravo’s high alpha content is largely attributable to its parent variety, Zeus. It’s bittering quality is considered smooth and in addition features light floral aromas and subtle flavors of orange and stone fruit making it highly desirable for use in many different ale styles."

Bravo Contains elevated amounts of Geraniol, supposedly more than any other hop. If the yeast you use is capable of biotransformation it can covert geraniol into other more Aromatic/fruity compounds. Adding certain amounts to WP additions could boost the fruity aspect of the other hops you use.

Back