Should I add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeasst

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a variation of Denny's Bourbon vanilla imperial porter. This is the second time I've brewed it, but the first time I've done 10 gallons. Both 6.75gal buckets started bubbling within 24hrs of adding yeast, but now 1 week later there are no bubbles. I have blowoff tubes on both buckets going into growlers filled with sanitizer as last time the krausen went nuts.

If I push on the top of the buckets I get bubbles. Should I add another yeast starter or leave it?

You need to take an SG reading before anything else. Might be you have a leaky fermentor, which is perfectly normal. Just looking at bubbles is not a viable indication of fermentation.

What's the easiest way to take a sample? turkey baster?

Turkey baster/wine thief or just something sanitized. If you don't have a turkey baster/wine theif I highly recommend you get one. Being able to take a quick sample of your beer is extremely helpful for deciding if the fermentation is healthy.

Back