Should I add a whole carb drops to my under-carbed beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincy07

Reaction score
So I bottled an Amber ale about 4 weeks ago and underestimated the volume of beer going into the bottling bucket, I estimated about 3.5 gallons and ended up w closer to 4.75 gallons. Needless to say my beer is under-carbonated. Someone on here, don't recall who, suggested adding a carb drop to each bottle but the drops seem kinda big (coopers drops) and don't want to risk bottle bombs. Should I add a whole drop or half of one?

Well, I ended up adding half a drop to each beer. I threw one in the fridge yesterday morning before I left for work and cracked it open tonight when I got home, it had a small head but still didn't have much carbonation, the flavor is awesome tho, much better than the last one I tried a couple weeks ago. I put the 4 cases in the spare room in a plastic bin in case they do decide to go pop, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen lol. I'll let me sit for a couple weeks before I try another. I'm really hoping these turn out ok cuz I have some buddies coming into town in a few weeks for a friends wedding and want them to try my homebrew.

I would say good choice on going with a half a carb drop. I like to split a gallon off of a batch to do something different (dry hop, different yeast) and use carb drops for the small portion but feel like it usually gets overcarbed.

I used the rest if the package on the pale I bottled last night. I haven't ever used them before and figured it'd be easier than measuring out and boiling sugar for priming, not that it's hard, just figured I'd use them since I had them.

Back