Should Cations/Anions stay balanced when building water profile from DI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngdh

Reaction score
In using Brun Water to build up my DI water to match Wicklow Mtns Ireland low mineral profile the ions are balanced until I start adding Phosphoric Acid to get my mash pH down to the 5.2 I want for my Guinness clone. Is this ok or do I need to manipulate my mineral addition to attempt to get back in balance at the likely risk of being way off the low mineral content for Wicklow Mtn Ireland water?

In using Brun Water to build up my DI water to match Wicklow Mtns Ireland low mineral profile the ions are balanced until I start adding Phosphoric Acid to get my mash pH down to the 5.2 I want for my Guinness clone. Is this ok or do I need to manipulate my mineral addition to attempt to get back in balance at the likely risk of being way off the low mineral content for Wicklow Mtn Ireland water?

My best guess is that you need to put back in your adjusted pH(5.2) into the input and it should come out as balanced. But if it was balanced before, it should still be balanced after the pH change, because they were all still there to begin with and didn't go anywhere. Martin can feel free to correct me. I believe the sheet is so that you can double check your water profile to see if it makes sense.

Sorry about that, but the anion from some of the acids are not added to the ion totals. So it appears that the balance goes out of kilter when adding acid. But there really isn't an imbalance. Just my failure to account for those anions.

Sorry about that, but the anion from some of the acids are not added to the ion totals. So it appears that the balance goes out of kilter when adding acid. But there really isn't an imbalance. Just my failure to account for those anions.

Good to know. Thanks Martin :)

Latest posts

Back