Short term starter storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnglishAndy

Reaction score
My next brew requires a 2-step starter with lager yeast. I have completed step 1 and now life has got in the way and there will be an 8 day gap before I can do step 2. I'm currently storing the starter in its flask with the foil on top, with the flask in a sterilised brewing bucket with the lid sealed on in a dark garage where it's going to be about 6C (43F) for the next week.

Do you think this will be OK? An alternative would be to decant the yeast off from the spent wort into a mason jar that'll fit into the kitchen fridge where it might be a few degrees cooler but there's always the risk of infection during the transfer so I'm inclined to just leave it be for the 8 days.

What do you think?

I thought it'd be OK at this time of year but wanted to double-check the plan. I'll move the bucket it's in onto the cold stone floor so it keeps as cool as possible.

You were all right. I did the step up to the second stage a couple of days ago. The yeast was healthy looking and got itself a nice krausen overnight - about 10 hours.

Back