Short Starter time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelegout

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a propagator pack of wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068

It says on the packet to make a 2 litre starter and leave it 24 hours before pitching.

I am making a german weiss, OG 1.050

I would like to brew today, but that would only give the yeast 5 hours in the starter.

Would this be enough?
Thanks,
H

Make a 1L starter now and pitch it once it gets to full krausen.

Many folks do this (I believe Jamil discussed this a few times on the Jamil Show) for moderate gravity brews, I have done it a few times and it worked great.

Make your starter the night before, or early morning on brew day, try to let it grow about 12+ hours and pitch the whole thing, I have had great success doing this.

Ok I made a 1L starter last night using 1 cup of dry wheat malt extract - 13 hours on theres not any activity - no krausen or bubbles. Is this normal? Should I wait until there's krausen/visible activity to pitch the yeast? or just go for it?
Cheers,
H

I have only had one krausen in a starter to date, starters really don't have much activity normally, if it has been going for at least 12 hours you are probably good to go, check out Mr Malty it has all the info you'll need to know on starters, even a pitching rate calculator.

Thanks for the advice guys! I pitched at 14 hours just as some bubble started appearing in the starter - less than 12 hours later my beer had a thick 2" krausen and has been fermenting violently ever since! The krausen is THICK like melted icecream - this yeast is nuts!

Latest posts

Back